Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Installing valve on Blichmann kettle  (Read 1351 times)

Offline boozebag

• 1st Kit
Installing valve on Blichmann kettle
« on: June 29, 2014, 09:43:08 am »
Hello all,

I have been contemplating installing a second valve on my Blichmann boil kettle for a while now with the goal of having the capability to recirculate with my pump during the chill and create a whirlpool inside the kettle prior to running off into the fermenters.  Has this been discussed previously?  Or does anyone have experience with doing this or advice on whether or not this is a good idea, or what height would be optimal, etc.?

Thanks!

Ryan

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: Installing valve on Blichmann kettle
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 10:23:08 am »
Cutting the hole itself is fairly simple.  Ive done about 12 holes in my blichmanns this way.

1. Find your point and cover it with masking tape
2. With a nail or metal point hammer the spot so that your drill will have something to catch
3. With a step bit drill a 3/8th inch hole.
4.  With your 13/16ths Knockout punch with the nut on the outside, punch a hole for your valve.  I suggest this one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NQWZWU?ie=UTF8&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002NQWZWU
5. Install valve.

Here is reference for how the valve should be setup IMO.  I prefer the TEB installation method and have no problems with any of mine leaking.
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/hot-liquor-tank?page=6

As for placement, i cant really help you with that as it will depend on what kind of nozzle(?) you will be whirlpooling with.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline boozebag

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 12:58:06 pm »
Cool, thanks Jeff.  Although the tools required are pricey!  Maybe I'll ask around a couple clubs if anyone already has a similar set.  Good luck with the electric brewery, I love that set-up.

RC

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 03:12:18 pm »
Cool, thanks Jeff.  Although the tools required are pricey!  Maybe I'll ask around a couple clubs if anyone already has a similar set.  Good luck with the electric brewery, I love that set-up.

RC

They are expensive.  But they will give you a perfect hole.  Asking around clubs is a good idea, someone should have them.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!