Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Plastic/ glass bottles  (Read 1662 times)

Offline BobM

• 1st Kit
Plastic/ glass bottles
« on: June 14, 2014, 04:58:18 am »
Hey  guys,
I'm working on my sixth or seventh brew and have been using plastic bottles to begin with. In talking with a customer at work (he came in with a Brooklyn Brewery T-shirt on so it wasn't hard to start up a conversation) he said he had bottles of their Imperial Stout aging for about 10 yrs. He said if beers have yeast in the bottle they will continue to age for years saying this is how craft brewers got around NC's ABV laws in the 90s and 2000s. That got me to thinking I would take a few beers from each batch and save them as long as possible, in my 60 to 65 degree crawl space, before the urge overcame me to drink them. So I have 2 questions, is it better/safer to bottle in glass if I want to keep them for a long time and what are the pros and cons of plastic bottling.
Bob

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Re: Plastic/ glass bottles
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 06:59:23 am »
I believe that plastic can still allow a tiny amount of oxygen ingress so maybe glass would be better.
I'd also worry that this temp was a touch high for aging but I don't age so I will let others confirm or refute that.

My biggest question is, what style of beer?  Some age well and improve, others gain nothing from aging and you are sort of wasting beer that would be best enjoyed fresh. Big, high alcohol, big flavour beers age well. I wouldn't bother to age a Kolsch or an APA for years though. Just my opinion though.

Offline BobM

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 07:28:04 am »
GMAC,

I've been making IPAs and Red ales with one effort at a stout. I'm getting getting used to brewing before I go crazy with the high content beers.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 07:42:07 am »
This styles would be best consumed fresh. I suppose if you wanted to age for experimental reasons you could but you'll lose the hop presence with time for sure
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 08:02:23 am »
This styles would be best consumed fresh. I suppose if you wanted to age for experimental reasons you could but you'll lose the hop presence with time for sure

+1. Save some if you want to see what they are like but enjoy them when they are fresh is my advice. If you want to cellar something, make a big stout (not really harder than a regular stout, just needs more ingredients and put some of that away until the winter or beyond.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 01:38:33 pm »
What exactly did he mean that the beer will age in a way that had any relationship to legal ABV limits?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 09:40:16 pm »
What exactly did he mean that the beer will age in a way that had any relationship to legal ABV limits?
It sounds like the guy thought yeast would increase abv in the bottle - which would be a load of snot.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958