Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Kegs - Manufactured in India  (Read 8287 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: New Kegs - Manufactured in India
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 10:25:15 am »
Those look like the same Chinese ones I have.  I think I may have paid more, though...  AIH has some pretty good pricing.

I haven't had any issues with leaking and I've had these kegs for a few years.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 10:38:30 am »
I guess now that I've crapped all over the rumors about Chinese kegs, I should say that one of the reasons I asked about the Indian kegs is I had heard rumors of problems, as well.

What I had heard is issues of weld quality.  Not that they leaked, but that the welds were sloppy and could cause issues with cleaning and sanitation.

But I've not actually seen these in person.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline jskiles

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 08:21:32 am »
I have used one of the Italian kegs for a couple years, and more recently acquired a brand new one made in India.  Right away a couple differences I noted was that the posts are not labeled in or out, and the posts I got with the Indian one had poppets that were not permanently installed into the poppets like my Italian one.

With the liquid dip tube, I find that I have to manually hold it in place by reaching into the keg while tightening the post, otherwise the dip tube will rotate around and end up pointed who knows where.

As far as welds, I have not noticed anything unusual about them on the indian one vs. the Italian one.  Overall, I find that they are nearly identical but for the differences in the poppets and the dip tube which are probably insignificant to most people, I just happened to take note.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 08:33:01 am »
Just for contrast...

I have several kegs (old Pepsi tanks) that the outlet tube spin when tightened too.  You just need to be aware and deal with it.

Thanks for feedback on the new ones.  Someday I may need some more and it's nice to have some comparisons.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 12:33:29 pm »
I guess now that I've crapped all over the rumors about Chinese kegs, I should say that one of the reasons I asked about the Indian kegs is I had heard rumors of problems, as well.

What I had heard is issues of weld quality.  Not that they leaked, but that the welds were sloppy and could cause issues with cleaning and sanitation.

But I've not actually seen these in person.
I think one of my Italian kegs might have a crappy weld down at the bottom. It hasn't been a problem for sanitation though.
Jesse

Offline wv_brewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 09:23:00 pm »
I also have one of the Indian kegs and think they are quite nice, especially compared to the used Italian ones I have.  The welds are fine.  The only issue is the poppets stick out above the top of the posts by maybe 1/16th of an inch which does make it difficult to get the disconnects on.  A little fanangling is all it takes.  I have thought about seeing if I could get replacement poppets but it really has not been that much of a problem.   I would definitely buy another.

Offline ram5ey

• Cellarman
    • Isaac Ramsey Design
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 07:03:52 am »
I have 3 of the 2.5gal Chinese ones. They take less pressure than a standard keg (60psi max). I haven't had any issues other than a gas post that wasn't drilled correctly and Adventures in Hombrewing fixed that right away. 

Macon, GA

Offline Stevie

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 07:42:11 am »
...Adventures in Hombrewing fixed that right away.

I think that is the key. They are very customer service focused and will take care of people.

Offline dave.kline

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 07:22:56 am »
I can say that the Indian-made kegs are noticeably heavier than the Italian-made kegs. As mentioned previously, the in and out posts aren't labeled and are arranged opposite of the Italian kegs, so I look carefully for the notch in the gas post. I haven't noticed any sloppy welds. They are NSF certified, just like the Italian kegs are.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk