Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help with nitro dispense problem  (Read 1371 times)

Offline albino

• 1st Kit
Help with nitro dispense problem
« on: March 21, 2016, 10:56:50 am »
Hi all - I'm new to the forum but am a keen homebrewer in England.  There's not a massive scene for kegging and/or nitro over here so I thought I'd see if anyone here might be able to offer some advice regarding a problems I'm having pouring a homebrew stout using 75/25 beer gas.

So I've brewed a nice Oatmeal stout on the which I'm dispensing from a corny keg through a proper stout tap using 75/25 beer gas. I carbed to approx 1.8 volumes using pure Co2.  I've now hooked up the beer gas to pour it and whilst the nitro pour looks great initially, the smooth head only remains for about 10 seconds after settling. After that it disappears really quickly leaving a headless pint.  It still tastes good with some carbonation but lacks the ongoing creaminess I'm after.  I've experimented with the serving pressure at 35psi incrementally down to 25psi without any change.

So I hope I might be able to get some suggestions to help resolve this - and hopefully get my stout ready for the Easter holidays!
Cheers

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Help with nitro dispense problem
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 11:33:26 am »
If the head looks good, but doesn't last, I doubt it is the draft system. I'd start with the glassware. Wash by hand using a soap without a rinse aide, rinse well, dry by hand.

Could also be something in your process.

Offline albino

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 11:57:17 am »
Thanks for your reply - Interesting - and not something I'd thought about at this stage.
In terms of glassware, I only ever wash the glasses by hand as suggested although I usually leave in a rack to air dry.   I haven't had a head retention problem with any other beers though, (including nitro cans) so reckon I can rule out glassware issues.

I wonder if there may be an integral problem with the beer itself as you suggested?  Although I'm not sure what that could actually be.  However, prior to setting up the keg on nitro, I used a normal tap to pour and used the old syringe method to create a similar effect - This kept a smooth head for a lot longer: (see pic on the right in handle glass)
https://untappd.com/b/23-7-o-mahony-s-oatmeal-stout/1424548/photos

Something that has just dawned on me as I type is that - in my haste to get going with the whole nitro thing - I didn't clean the tap itself before connecting.  I wonder if there are any oils left on it from the production process which could be killing the head?  Time to get cleaning!
Thanks again

Offline albino

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 01:52:29 pm »
Just a quick update.  I gave everything a good clean with PBW followed by several rinses and a spray of starsan.  I now have perfect nitro pour with a beautifully retained, creamy head.  Time to brew another batch, I think!  Cheers