Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Red Ale  (Read 4735 times)

Offline Nagel Family Brewing

• Cellarman
Red Ale
« on: March 19, 2010, 12:58:07 pm »
I am curious how everyone thinks the malt, hops, and yeast will blend in this one.  This hop combo sounds interesting to me and am I curious as to everyone's thoughts on how the flavor and aroma will come out on this one.  This is an american bastardization of an Irish Red.  I brew a Porter with Perle for bittering and .5 oz Willamette at 20 and 5 that I love. I thought it might be interesting to blend cascade and perle for flame out or dry hop.  Has anyone done an aroma combo with Perle and Cascade?  I was going to switch to Chico yeast but thought since I already had the Irish that I might as well throw it in and see what happens.  I keep getting cold feet on brewing an Irish Ale for fear of it not being bitter and hoppy enough for me to enjoy 5 gallons worth.

5.5 Gallon

11  2-row
 1  Carapils
 1  Crystal 80
1/8 Black Roasted Barley

Wyeast Irish Ale

.75 oz Perle 60
.50 oz Cascade 60

.5 oz Willamette 20

.5 oz Willamette 5

.25 oz Perle 0
.50 oz cascade 0

40~ IBU

• Cellarman
Re: Red Ale
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 03:32:57 pm »
I am considering option #2 for my brew tomorrow in a totally different direction.

"Blood in the Water" India Red Ale

8  2-row
3  Red Wheat
1 Carapils
1 Crystal 80
1/8 Roasted Barley

1 oz Perle 60

.5 oz Simcoe 15
.5 oz Chinook 15

.5 oz Simcoe Flameout
.5 oz Chinook Flameout

Wyeast Irish Ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 04:04:05 pm »
It's likely to end up kinda sweet with a lb. each of carapils and crystal.  I'd either cut the carapils in 1/2 or leave it out altogether.  The best way I've found to make a red beer is with about 15-20% carared malt.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 02:29:36 am »
It's likely to end up kinda sweet with a lb. each of carapils and crystal.  I'd either cut the carapils in 1/2 or leave it out altogether.  The best way I've found to make a red beer is with about 15-20% carared malt.

Another good way is with a couple lbs of munich and a pinch of dark crystal. I personally don't like the roasted barley route of making a beer red. Then again, that could just be personal taste. Irish Red Ale is just about my least favorite beer style - but I love a good hoppy West Coast-style APA/AAA.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 10:45:08 am »
Carared works well, as Denny said.  My favorite combo is 1/2 lb 60 and 1/2 lb 80 with and oz or two of 120.  I would lose the Carapils, it is not necessary.  IMHO Carapils is useful only in yeller beers like a Dortmunder or Bo-pils.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 10:04:12 am »
Okay,  after some internal debate, I think I am going to brew Jamil's West Coast Amber out of Brewing Classic Styles.  I want to use 1.5 oz of hops at 15 and 1.5 oz of hops at 1 minute.  I have simcoe, cascade, columbus, and amarillo.  I want to use 3 of the hops, .5 oz each at 15 and 1.  Which three should I use?  I thought about using all four but I think I want to save the hops.

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 01:02:18 pm »
I have simcoe, cascade, columbus, and amarillo.

oh, and chinook

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 01:06:19 pm »
simcoe, amarillo and columbus.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 02:27:39 pm »
Columbus, Centennial, Cascade and Amarillo.  ;D
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 04:51:54 pm »

and Simcoe

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 05:41:16 pm »

and Simcoe

yeah, but you knuckleheads, he ain't got no Centennial - do you think I'd leave that out on poipose???? ;D

j/k LOL!!!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 10:02:31 am »
Okay,  after some internal debate, I think I am going to brew Jamil's West Coast Amber out of Brewing Classic Styles.  I want to use 1.5 oz of hops at 15 and 1.5 oz of hops at 1 minute.  I have simcoe, cascade, columbus, and amarillo.  I want to use 3 of the hops, .5 oz each at 15 and 1.  Which three should I use?  I thought about using all four but I think I want to save the hops.

Well, I end up brewing up an Amber inspired by Jamil's West Coast Blaster.  Here is my recipe slightly tweaked for the crystal and chocolate malts I had plus the hops I wanted to use:

10 2row
 1 Munich
 1 C-60
8oz C-135
8oz Victory
1.5oz Chocolate

1 oz Columbus 12.2AA 60min

1 oz Cascade 15min
.5oz Amarillo 15min

1 oz Cascade 2min
.5oz Amarillo 2 min

I pitched 2 smack paks of Wyeast1056
Fermented out in 10 days and forced carbed in 3 days
Drank 2 pints last night, 2 weeks after brew date.  I don't know why I waited 2.5 years to start kegging.  This is awesome!

I finally feel like I nailed one.  This is by far the cleanest fermentation I have had.  The beer is bitter but smooth.  The toast & maltiness from the Munich and Victory is awesome (first time I have done this combo) and there is just the right amount of sweetness to back up the maltiness and hops.

This will be a rebrew.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 10:49:32 am »
Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together!  Good job by you!

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 10:53:31 am »
Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together!  Good job by you!

+1

That is hopnanimous!
Ron Price