General Category > Beer Recipes

Apricot in an ale?

(1/2) > >>

vanwolfhausen:
Ok I know this isn't for everyone but, I had a Dogfishhead Apri hop beer and I actually liked it.  Could I have a keg of it and not get sick of it?  WHo knows?  But, my wife loved it so at least if I get sick of it she won't.  I was thinking of what hops to use in it and figured I would go with citrusy hops like Amarillo and Cascade.  What do you guys think? 

denny:
It seems like a good approach, but the question is will those hops enhance the apricot or get in its way?  I'm gonna have to do some visualization with my taste imagination....

tygo:
Amarillo seems like a good choice based on the write-up on the brewery's site:

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/seasonal-brews/aprihop.htm

bobh:
I brewed a APA this past fall with homegrown Cascade and Centennial hops (Cascade as the late addition and dry hop) and while I didn't add any fruit it had a major apricot aroma which was surprising but really nice.  I used US05 yeast, which is usually pretty clean so I don't think it was the yeast.  Anyway, from the way that beer tasted I would think at least the casacde or similar citrusy hops would work well.

mikeypedersen:
I brewed a beer I called Hopricot that was inspired by the Aprihop by Dogfish.  It was a pretty standard APA but lighter on hops than normal.  I have the recipe at home which I can check later, but I think it had a couple of Amarillo additions.  Then in secondary I put it on several pounds of pureed apricots, and dry-hopped it with half an ounce of Amarillo and half an ounce of Palisade.  You could probably do all Palisade as has a definite apricot aroma, so it does compliment the apricot.  I also added just a dribble of Apricot flavoring at kegging, just to get a little more apricot flavor in there.  It came in at about 6% ABV and my friends went nuts on it last summer.  A fruit beer that is still kinda hoppy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version