Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: how big and in what geometry can you batch sparge?  (Read 1920 times)

Offline redzim

• Brewer
how big and in what geometry can you batch sparge?
« on: June 12, 2014, 07:17:22 am »
I'm thinking about upgrading from doing 10-gal Denny-style batch-sparge brews in a big cooler chest, to doing 30-gal batches in a big 40+ gal stainless mash tun (maybe from Stout Tanks, or Psychobrew, or a Blichmann Boilermaker setup, etc). 

Most of these seem to come with fancy things like "rotating sparge arms", etc, which I don't really even understand. So I'm wondering if I need to ditch my years of experience and comfort level with batch sparging and learn about fly sparging, which I've never done or even really thought about?

Or do you think with a system like that, you could still just drain off the first runnings, then add some sparge water, and drain again, just I've been doing. In other words, what does the increased mash volume and changed geometry (from a rectangular, relatively shallow grain bed to a more cylindrical and deeper bed)  do? Will efficiency be effected?  Any advice accepted.

-red

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: how big and in what geometry can you batch sparge?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 07:21:35 am »
Based on my experience, it shouldn't make any difference.  I sometimes use a 152 qt. cooler for large batches and it works just as easily and well as my 48 qt. cooler.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 07:26:42 am »
Does efficiency decrease as you scale up?

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 07:54:47 am »

I can't speak from experience but efficiency should be relatively constant assuming your qt/lb ratios are equal.  Since you are draining the whole bed, adding more water and draining again the size of the tun shouldn't make a big difference.

IMHO, YMMV 8^)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 08:04:37 am »

In my case, it didn't decrease.  Can't see why it should aince you're basically using the same ratios of grain and water to mash and sparge, just in larger amounts.  FWIW, Ihave a friend who runs a small commercial brewery.  He tried batch sparging with 500 lb. of grain and found that his efficiency actually went up!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Vin S

• Assistant Brewer
  • Harwinton CT
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 07:21:54 am »
The only thing I would be concerned with is losing heat in that size container. Otherwise I think as the others have said.
" There is no such thing as a bad beer. It's that some taste better than others." Billy Carter

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 11:05:22 am »
The only thing I would be concerned with is losing heat in that size container. Otherwise I think as the others have said.
A larger volume should loose heat more slowly as the surface area to volume ratio is decreased.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 11:48:38 am »
A larger volume should loose heat more slowly as the surface area to volume ratio is decreased.

True.  In a like to like comparison.  The OP is talking about going from a cooler to stainless steel so he will need to deal increased heat loss no matter what size he goes with.  Of course, he will likely go direct fired in that case so it should n't be too hard, just a little more tedious, to maintain his temps.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 07:19:32 am »
I used to batch sparge 50 gallon batches and got 80%

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 08:00:43 am »

To a certain extent.  In my 48 qt. cooler, I see an efficiency drop if a few points on beers over 1.080.  Although when I use the 152 qt. to make 10 gal. of something in the 1.100 area, my efficiency is pretty much normal.  I think that's due to the larger amount of water I use.  Even in a smaller cooler, you can compensate by sparging oere (up to a point) and boiling longer.

www.dennybrew.com