Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg pressure problems  (Read 3215 times)

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
Keg pressure problems
« on: June 12, 2014, 08:54:58 am »
So I’m trying to keg my seconds keg beer.  The first one I did failed miserably.  I think I know what I did wrong the first time and have done a ton of research to make sure I don’t screw this one up. 

Of course I’m now having an issue with this second try.  I pressure tested the keg before actually filling it and it held pressure for a week.  I filled my keg last night.  I burped it a few time to purge the oxygen, I sealed it at around 8 PSI and put it in the fridge overnight to chill it for a force carbonation the next day.  I checked it this morning and I’ve lost all the pressure.  I took the lid of, dried the O-ring, resealed it, burped it and again brought it up to 8PSI to seal it.  I had intended to force carbonate tonight but my keg has lost all it’s pressure again this am!  There is a lot of condensation from moving it in and out of the fridge so much SO I’m wondering if the moisture is hurting my seals.

Any thought on what I might be doing wrong? 

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Keg pressure problems
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 08:58:27 am »
8psi is a bit low to seat the lid properly. Try applying a bit of keg lube to the lid o-ring and hitting it with 30+ PSI to seat the lid. After you seat the lid, turn the pressure down to your serving/carb pressure.

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 09:04:08 am »
But at such a low temperature (35-38 degrees), my force carb will only need to be around 12PSI.  So would I just bring it up to 30 to seal and let it sit for awhile then bring it down to 12 to force carb?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 09:20:07 am »
Correct. You don't need to wait long, the high pressure helps to pop the lid up. Undo the bail on the lid and pull up on it, then attach the disconnect at the higher pressure. I usually wait a few minutes, turn the pressure down, give it a few burps and walk away.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 09:50:23 am »
Correct. You don't need to wait long, the high pressure helps to pop the lid up. Undo the bail on the lid and pull up on it, then attach the disconnect at the higher pressure. I usually wait a few minutes, turn the pressure down, give it a few burps and walk away.

Same here -  my process too.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 09:54:16 am »
You could have a leak somewhere else along your gas system. A spray bottle of StarSan is very help in tracking down leaks.

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 10:00:32 am »
I pressure tested it prior to filling so I hope that's not the case

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 10:07:48 am »
I pressure tested it prior to filling so I hope that's not the case

It could be something as simple as a loose flare fitting or hose clamp. I wouldn't worry.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 10:37:59 am »
Was it on pressure over night? If you just put 8psi in and then took the gas off it just absorbed the gas. Leave the has hooked up
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 12:03:37 pm »

Was it on pressure over night? If you just put 8psi in and then took the gas off it just absorbed the gas. Leave the has hooked up
this was my thought as well, at 8psi it will take a long time to actually carbonate fully and what little co2 is being put in is most likely being absorbed into the beer over night. Thus, the OP is assuming it's losing pressure when it's really not
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 12:18:37 pm »
Even if some of the gas was absorbed, wouldn't it still give off a bit of a pfft when pulling the PRV?

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 12:54:46 pm »
It was never my intent to force carbonate at 8 PSI. Just to seal it over night while it got cold in the fridge. So it sounds like I need to seal it with 30 or so, leave it for a little while, burp it, bring my pressure down to my forced carbonation pressure(12PSI) and then use the shake method to force carbonate.

Sound good?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 01:00:31 pm »
I use the shake method if I need the beer ready quickly. Otherwise, the set and forget option is good.

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 01:05:36 pm »
So set it at my desired pressure (based on my volume of CO2 table) and just leave it upright? 

How long does it typically take?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 01:09:40 pm »
So set it at my desired pressure (based on my volume of CO2 table) and just leave it upright? 

How long does it typically take?

Typically for me a couple of weeks. If you want to serve it faster, attach the gas and shake until the regulator stops making noise, or shake from time to time. The longer you let it sit, the more clear the beers will pour, at least after the first pint or two.

You can also turn the pressure up higher and let it sit. It is very easy to over carb this way, and that is a pain in the butt.