Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg pressure problems  (Read 3185 times)

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Keg pressure problems
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 01:11:41 pm »
I really want this beer soon. I think I will try the shake method this time around and plan better next time to let it sit.

Thanks for all them input!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 02:24:27 pm »
It's pretty easy to overcarb by shaking, also.  But you'll figure out what works for you with experience.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 03:22:21 pm »
I really want this beer soon. I think I will try the shake method this time around and plan better next time to let it sit.

Thanks for all them input!

So if you really are in a hurry I would suggest this: attach the gas at serving pressure and allow gas to flow in until you don't hear anymore, disconnect gas and shake for 3-5 minutes or roll it on the floor, connect gas and repeat process at least 5 times. This is all done at serving pressure so there is no fear of over carbonating. Do not shake with the gas on as you can pull beer into your regulator and that would be a bummer.

Place keg in kegerator and leave for a few days on gas and to settle and after 3-4 days it should be ready or pretty close.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 03:29:15 pm »
How do you pull beer into the regulator when the gas is on?  If you're shaking, and the beer absorbs gas, more gas flows in...

I just don't see beer flowing out.

I shake with the gas hooked up regularly.  I have clear gas lines and have never seen beer come back up.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 03:41:25 pm »
How do you pull beer into the regulator when the gas is on?  If you're shaking, and the beer absorbs gas, more gas flows in...

I shake with the gas hooked up regularly.  I have clear gas lines and have never seen beer come back up.

I personally don't have any experience with the beer coming back but know a few that have, maybe it's not exactly how I remeber it but I thought I would throw it out there as a possibility;)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Stevie

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 04:14:21 pm »
Only times I have seen backflow is where the keg is at a higher pressure than the regulator AND has been moved recently.

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2014, 07:20:13 am »

Me too!  There are two things you DON'T want to do while shaking 1) Turn the pressure DOWN 2) Close the valve on the regulator barb.  Both of these will make beer come up the line.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!