Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Good online Ingredient vendors?  (Read 1603 times)

Offline mbarr13

• 1st Kit
Good online Ingredient vendors?
« on: June 12, 2014, 03:03:05 pm »
Hey everyone,

My local brew shop is taking advantage of being the only one within 50 miles by jacking up ingredient prices. Is there a recommended online shop to buy ingredients from? Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Good online Ingredient vendors?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 03:09:52 pm »
I'd say it depends on what you are looking for. For hops I have found the hop shack to be very good with good pricing (I buy by the pound) and selection and quick shipping. I buy all my malt at the LHBS so I can't speak much for that and I generally try and harvest yeast so I really don't buy that much but when I need something it's from the LHBS.

My LHBS lets me go in on 50# sacks for the grains I use the most and offers me a reward program as well as a 10% discount for AHA/Club membership. The rewards are great, for every $100 spent I can get an additional 5% off the next buy:)

IME, by the time you deal with the shipping costs online is comparable to local so you really need to compare to see if you really are saving
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 03:15:38 pm »
They may not be jacking the prices up as much as you think. My LHBS sells hops for $2.99 an ounce for all varieties. To me that is expensive, but looking around it is about on-par with others selling once ounce Hop Union bags.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 04:37:12 pm »
I've always been happy with prices and the customer service at Northern Brewer.  $7.99 flat rate shipping is also nice. 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 05:00:53 pm »
I don't have a LHBS with hours that work around my schedule, so I shop online almost exclusively. I've never had a bad customer service issue with any of them. I try to buy a few months worth of supplies at a time to save on shipping. I typically use MoreBeer since they're the closest, but I would recommend Northern Brewer, Midwest Supplies, Rebel Brewer, Austin Homebrew Supply and Adventures in Homebrewing. I also like Yakima Valley Hops, Farmhouse Brewing Supplies, Hops Direct and Freshops for bulk hops.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline mbarr13

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 07:54:01 pm »
Thank you for the input guys

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 07:57:04 pm »
I buy online quite a bit because my lhbs is not as local as I would like because I live in a rural area. Northern Brewer has been great. Fast shipping, reasonable prices and they send me about the only spam I like ( so not really spam) In the past few months I have gotten a free carboy and propane burner just ordering stuff I would have anyway. I have asked them questions via e- mail and received quick and helpful responses.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 07:57:09 am »
I like hopsdirect for bulk hops. I have had very good experiences buying from farmhouse brewing supply. He sells hops in four ounce bags at reasonable prices and frequently runs sales so I've picked up some interesting stuff for a dollar per ounce or less when I didn't want to commit to buying a full pound.

I just placed my first order with More Beer and I was really happy with everything about the order.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline glenmoorebrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 08:06:19 am »
Label peelers is a good site. They are out of ohio and ship to Philadelphia in about 2 days. Got buy one get one lb of Amarillo yesterday it was 29.99, about 17 an lb after shipping plus a free shirt.
-AK