Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Equipment at NHC  (Read 7641 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: New Equipment at NHC
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2014, 08:44:13 pm »
If you are planning on transferring from one keg to another an easier option is to cut 1/2-1" off the dip tube of your "bright" keg. Second benefit is less to clean.

Also, might as well hook up the gas with the first keg. It does make transferring a bit trickier.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2014, 06:02:18 am »
I purchased the "Clear Beer Draught" at the AHA conference.  Here is my intended use. (1)Sanitize a keg and Clear Beer device. (2) Hook up Clear Beer and place gelatin finings in keg. (3) Rack from primary to keg. (4) Seal and purge head space with CO2. (5) Gently rock keg to mix gelatin finings. (6) Cold crash. (7) Transfer to serving keg 5-6 days, carbonate to appropriate level and serve.

As the Clear Beer gadget will be drawing from the top of the keg, my thought here is I should have some pretty "Clear Beer" transferred to the serving keg!

Thoughts?  I'm not sure if step (5) is needed or might even be counter productive.
I'm not a big gelatin user but from my understanding you basically want to add the gelatin to the top of an already cold beer and as it drops to the bottom of the keg it will pull down the proteins and what not... I think you wouldn't need to rock the keg/want to.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2014, 07:13:10 am »
FWIW, when I use gelatin I add it to the bottom the keg and rack cold crashed beer on top - mixes evenly and works great. I think the bigger issue is to have the beer as cold as possible when you use gelatin.
Jon H.