Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Conical Review  (Read 3718 times)

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Conical Review
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 04:04:06 pm »
...Find out volume of cone, to any valves, to any thermowell.

Oooo... nice save. Don't mean to hijack your thread, Steve, but I gotta know - do thermowells come in custom locations (through the top or through the side anywhere you want it) or are they pretty much fixed by the particular manufacturer? Does one mfg put it in the top, and another put it in the side near the cone? Which is best? I'd think you'd want to take your controlling temps near the cone where the heat will be higher, no?

Again; sorry, Steve, for hijacking, but you started a great topic here...
Most homebrew sized conical manufactures put it in a fixed placed midway up.  Stout (the link in the OP) does as well... Though they also allow you to customize your kettle.  You could have one put in the lid if you wanted.  I almost did this actually.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Conical Review
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 05:48:26 pm »
...Find out volume of cone, to any valves, to any thermowell.

Oooo... nice save. Don't mean to hijack your thread, Steve, but I gotta know - do thermowells come in custom locations (through the top or through the side anywhere you want it) or are they pretty much fixed by the particular manufacturer? Does one mfg put it in the top, and another put it in the side near the cone? Which is best? I'd think you'd want to take your controlling temps near the cone where the heat will be higher, no?

Again; sorry, Steve, for hijacking, but you started a great topic here...

No hijack, just topic development.  For me,mthe bottom of the cone is just for dumping.  Mid cone I'd where I have the racking arm for draining the beer to the keg, and the TC port just above the cone is where I have the Thermowell.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton