Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New to brewing and I need help!  (Read 4186 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: New to brewing and I need help!
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 11:12:27 am »
I've heard 1056 recommended for nearly every style of beer at an old (defunct) LHBS that only sold Cooper's extracts and a few specialty grains. Luckily my LHBS is very, very good.
Jon H.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2014, 12:15:08 pm »
Steve (smkranz) and I purchase home brewing supplies from the same suppliers.  I can attest that new brewers will generally receive good advice in these shops because they have the benefit of a large community in which many members have two decades or more of brewing experience.  I rarely encounter the blind leading the clueless types of exchanges that I saw during the early days of the homebrewing revolution.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 05:23:04 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline CTbeerworks

• 1st Kit
  • Clocktower Beer Works
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2014, 08:46:03 pm »
I'm over loaded with info :) which is a good thing

Thanks for all the info guys I really appreciate it!
Always something new to learn!! And I have a lot to learn!

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2014, 11:56:28 am »
In addition to all the good advice in this thread, the biggest lesson you need to learn is that yeast work on their own schedule, not yours.  Give them all the time they need to finish up their jobs.  Your job is to provide them the right environment for them to do so.   They will, as long as you give them the sanitary environment, enough oxygen up front, the right temperature, and enough time.  They will then reward your patience with a delicious beer!  My point is that rushing a beer will usually result in one that's mediocre at best.  They yeast continue to work their magic even after the krausen (foam that forms during fermentation) falls.  This is the time for the patience, as it LOOKS like they are done, but they aren't.

Good luck and keep coming back to this forum any time you have a question.  We all were newbies once.

Steve

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge