Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Don't cry over spilt beer - sunday brew sadness #1  (Read 1798 times)

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
Don't cry over spilt beer - sunday brew sadness #1
« on: August 02, 2010, 07:12:18 am »
Sunday morning, walk down to the basement for cat food.  Cellar smells of beer.  I checked the kegs sitting in the corner and see about 1 gallon of beer on the floor.

A slow leak from the beer out poppet.  Damn!  Black lager puddle. :(

I don't have a frig or kegerator for my beer, so I usually slap on a cobra tap to fill a growler or 2-liter with a carbonator cap and chill in the frig.  Once filled, I pull off the tap and flush out with star san.

I wiped down the beer post and thought all was good.  I guess next time I'll start spraying the post with starsan and look for leaks when pulling off the tap.

The basement did smell nice though!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Don't cry over spilt beer - sunday brew sadness #1
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 02:56:38 pm »
I had something similar (at least a little similar) happen after I took a keg to a party.  There was around 2 gallons left and I just disconnected the cobra tap and the CO2 tank and walked away.  There was apparently a small leak on the gas in side.  The next time I hooked the keg up it was completely flat and had started to grow some really nasty stuff inside the keg.

Since then I check the seals with Starsan every time I disconnect things.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
Re: Don't cry over spilt beer - sunday brew sadness #1
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 09:43:34 pm »
It's happened to me too. I think the popit just got hung up on a hop flower. If it happens again I'll have to replace it.