Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegging and Carbonating - 1st time brew  (Read 4081 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Kegging and Carbonating - 1st time brew
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 06:49:54 pm »
I clean and sanitize my keg
Rack beer to keg
Close lid
Attach CO2 at prescribed pressure for the carbonation that I want
Wait 10 days ish
Drink all gone
Repeat

Offline jasongael

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 08:53:36 am »
Thanks everyone! I successfully siphoned/racked beer, carbonated at 5 PSI to push out air, sealed lid, and set to 13.4 PSI in the keg-orator at coldest I can get it, which I hope is around 40-45 F. Will let it sit for a week and then taste. ** sidenote, I was also stoked to get all my lines hooked up correctly, so I'll be ready to pour as soon as it's time!

Cheers!
"May your glass be ever full, may the roof over your head be always strong, and may you be in heaven a half-hour before the devil knows you're dead."

We'll drink to that.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 09:00:14 am »
Now start your next batch because this one will go fast.

Offline jasongael

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 11:40:52 am »
Now start your next batch because this one will go fast.

Great advice Steve! I'm starting an Organic Rye IPA on Friday! ;)
"May your glass be ever full, may the roof over your head be always strong, and may you be in heaven a half-hour before the devil knows you're dead."

We'll drink to that.

Offline jasongael

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2014, 08:06:49 pm »
I went ahead and brewed my Rye IPA successfully. But then I went to test the pressure in my kegged beer, and I got no flow.. :(

I've had it in the fridge on super cold for 4 days at 13 PSI. I connected the faucet hose, and opened it up expecting to get some beer, but it only drizzled out then stopped. :( Beer is in the hose, and there is pressure in the keg (burped the PRV successfully), but I can't get it to pour.. HELP ....!!!

We'll drink to that.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 08:11:45 pm »
I went ahead and brewed my Rye IPA successfully. But then I went to test the pressure in my kegged beer, and I got no flow.. :(

I've had it in the fridge on super cold for 4 days at 13 PSI. I connected the faucet hose, and opened it up expecting to get some beer, but it only drizzled out then stopped. :( Beer is in the hose, and there is pressure in the keg (burped the PRV successfully), but I can't get it to pour.. HELP ....!!!

super cold could mean you have a frozen beer line somewhere. I had this problem the other day, my water keg and low gravity stout were frozen, the higher gravity IPA was still pouring.

** EDIT TO ADD SOMETHING USEFUL **

I pulled the picnic taps and ran hot water over them for a while and turned the fridge up some.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jasongael

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 08:25:03 pm »
Definitely nothing frozen along the lines or faucets... there is beer in the line, and gas in the keg.. just no flow.

We'll drink to that.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 09:09:08 pm »
Maybe a clogged dip tube or poppet? Did you dry hop?

Offline jasongael

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2014, 09:53:10 pm »
I did not dry hop in the keg. The Corny Keg is brand new. The poppets are brand new.. everything's brand new.

We'll drink to that.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2014, 10:14:27 pm »
Did you dry hop at all?

If there is a clog you have a few options.

1 - increase the pressure to blow it out.
2 - attach a liquid disconnect to the gas line and blow it back in.
3 - release the pressure and disassemble the liquid side and unclog it manually.

Back to Jonathan's idea. What temp is your beer fridge at?

Also, and I get this from helping my parents with computers, is the gas hooked up and turned on?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2014, 10:41:20 pm »
Definitely nothing frozen along the lines or faucets... there is beer in the line, and gas in the keg.. just no flow.

if the keg burps when you pull the PRV there is pressure in the keg. if it's not coming out of the tap either the tap is not hooked up to the keg, or something is blocked on the way. it could be blocked by a bit of gunk or by a bit of ice. it would only take a tiny bit of either in the wrong place to block it. I've had ice and hop/trub block kegs.

dump the pressure, unscrew the liquid out post and make sure it's clear. if the post looks clear, pull the dip tube and make sure that is clear. if that looks good put it all back together and try again. if it's still not flowing then take the liquid qd apart and check that, take the tap apart and check that. you have a blockage somewhere.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Stevie

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2014, 10:45:12 pm »
Have towels on standby. Even without pressure beer will trickle up the liquid side a bit

Offline jasongael

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2014, 11:19:59 pm »

if the keg burps when you pull the PRV there is pressure in the keg. if it's not coming out of the tap either the tap is not hooked up to the keg, or something is blocked on the way. it could be blocked by a bit of gunk or by a bit of ice. it would only take a tiny bit of either in the wrong place to block it. I've had ice and hop/trub block kegs.

dump the pressure, unscrew the liquid out post and make sure it's clear. if the post looks clear, pull the dip tube and make sure that is clear. if that looks good put it all back together and try again. if it's still not flowing then take the liquid qd apart and check that, take the tap apart and check that. you have a blockage somewhere.

Yes, it burps fine. There is good pressure. I think it must be something to do with the liquid out post. I'll check it tomorrow. Just thought maybe I'd not thought of something simple. THANKS again guys! I'll let you know how it goes.

We'll drink to that.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2014, 11:54:01 pm »
I suspect frozen keg not line. If so it will need to thaw completely before you try to dispense otherwise you'll get concentrated beer first then something akin to lite beer later as it continues to thaw. Think bourbon! Anyway, it can take over 24 hours to completely thaw a keg at room temp. Don't try to do it in the fridge.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline jasongael

• Cellarman
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2014, 03:41:21 pm »
So, as a follow-up... 4 days at 13.4 PSI, then 2 days at 30 PSI (with occasional rolling), I finally decompressed the keg, disconnected both lines, took the beer-line poppet off and the tube, and found the spring inside the poppet slightly clogged. Cleared it all out, washed, sterilized, and re-assembled and I now have flow to both my kegorator faucet and my beer-gun bottling system. w00t! And, proud to say, my very first homebrew tastes delicious! :))

w00 h00!

Next is Rye IPA!

We'll drink to that.