Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Choke Cherry Juice  (Read 2443 times)

Offline 5oclocksomewhere

• 1st Kit
Choke Cherry Juice
« on: May 28, 2014, 02:29:17 pm »
I have just received a gallon of Chokecherry juice and naturally I want to make beer with it.  I am thinking of maybe adding some to the secondary in either an american wheat style or stout and maybe saving some for adding to the keg.  I do have a gallon so I may be able to do both.  My question is how much should I use as a staring point?  Also, what do you think of my ideas? any other suggested styles?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Choke Cherry Juice
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 02:46:57 pm »
what does it taste like?

I'm a little obsessed with sours right now so my mind goes straight there but I suspect it would be good in an American wheat or stout like you suggest. Maybe also a wit beer or farmhouse.

You could make chokecherry syrup, brew a Berliner weisse and serve it with the syrup if you didn't want to commit to a whole batch.

Also mead, I suspect would be tasty, in that case I'd add the whole thing to the primary.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 02:50:57 pm »
What does it taste like? (Edit: I see Mort already asked this. I am still very curious about it.) The Chokecherries I have had come across as very tannic. Personally, I have always wanted to make a stout with chokecherries. Maybe use some American Oak, and Brett C as well. Seems like a lot of flavors that would go well together there.

As for the adding it aspect. Seems like you would want to ferment your base beer, and then make some samples in a glass with it. That would give you a good idea as to the amount you want to use for the full batch.
Kyle M.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 04:38:50 pm »
I have made some chokecherry wine. It has a cherry - like flavor but it does have quite a bit of tannins. I think it would work well in a sour beer. If adding to a wheat beer I agree with kmccaf in that you should add some of the juice to samples to get an idea of the flavor addition. If you want to back sweeten it you could use some non-fermentable sugar.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 01:12:47 pm »
If it is good, potent, chalk-full-o-chokecherries juice I would add 1.5 quarts to fermenting 5 gal of beer on the 3rd day of the ferment.  Before I added it I would heat it to 145 - 155F on the stovetop in a clean SS pan and hold there for 15 - 20 minutes (definitely keep it below 160F or you'll set pectins causing pectin haze) to pasteurize it, and once cooled, add it to your fermenter.

It's REALLY good in stout, and you could add more juice to the fermenter for a stout, prolly up to 2 quarts.

If it's straight press from chokecherries, you might reduce it to 1 quart or even less.  I would add, taste, maybe add more.

I use 4 lbs of crushed chokecherries per 5 gal wort, stirred and pasteurized prior to straining/racking to the fermenters, and there's plenty of chokecherry flavor that way.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:33:26 pm by brewsumore »

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 09:00:14 pm »
I made a chokecherry saison with 5 lbs fresh cherries, awesome.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 09:31:38 pm »
I made a chokecherry saison with 5 lbs fresh cherries, awesome.

Dude, I haven't seen your moniker in a long time.  Maybe it's me -anyway good to see you on the forum!

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 08:29:02 pm »
I check in every day, guess I just don't have much to say. :)

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 07:40:25 pm »
Yeah, I think I talk to hear what I'm thinking - so it sinks in better.  At least it's better than talking simply so that people can hear your voice.  8)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 07:42:11 pm by brewsumore »