Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Sock or No Hop Sock? That is the Question.  (Read 5242 times)

Offline dirtybiz

• Cellarman
Hop Sock or No Hop Sock? That is the Question.
« on: June 14, 2014, 08:36:13 am »
When brewing IPA's with large pellet hop additions do you  use Socks?

Just curious?

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Hop Sock or No Hop Sock? That is the Question.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 09:01:52 am »
I prefer to use a large mesh "paint" strainer bag which can be purchased at your LHBS.  I simply open it up each time I want to make a hop addition and then tie it to the handles on my kettle so it won't open and fall in to the boiling wort.  Occasionally during the boil, I make sure to push the bag back down into the wort and squeeze the bag against the side of the kettle to totally immerse the hops after each addition. 

After cooling I use a sanitized pair of metal tongs to gently squeeze out the remaining delicious hop juice and oils before racking over to my fermenter.  This seems to minimize my loss of wort from huge hop additions while still allowing the hops to properly boil in the kettle for the specific times needed. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 09:08:46 am »
+1.  Works like a simple hop spider.
Jon H.

Offline GBRewed

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 10:15:24 am »
I dont use a hop sock or any similar device when brewing or in secondary, etc.  I just throw the hops in freely and let them do their thing.  Lets them move around in the boiling wort and I dont have to worry about anything holding onto those precious oils.  I haven't had any problem with using a hop catch in my kettle when transferring to primary nor do I have problems getting hops into my keg from secondary as long as you cold crash your beer and let everything settle to the bottom and siphon off the hop cake.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 10:19:27 am »
When using whole-hops a coarse-mesh bag is indispensable as is a finer weave for pellet hops. 

I've done it all whichaways and settled on bags for my system.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 10:35:17 am »

I dont use a hop sock or any similar device when brewing or in secondary, etc.  I just throw the hops in freely and let them do their thing.  Lets them move around in the boiling wort and I dont have to worry about anything holding onto those precious oils.  I haven't had any problem with using a hop catch in my kettle when transferring to primary nor do I have problems getting hops into my keg from secondary as long as you cold crash your beer and let everything settle to the bottom and siphon off the hop cake.

Hop catch?

Offline GBRewed

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 10:57:58 am »

Hop catch?

Something like this.  Call it a screen, filter, whatever.  I phrase it as hop catch since it catches all my hops.  Have heard similar things referred as hop catches.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=vK_8DOoKly48hM&tbnid=GCCN5tfgOkJ5ZM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wellbom.com%2F12l-12npt-stainless-steel-brewing-kettle-screen-homebrew-beer-filter-accessories-p-549.html&ei=ln6cU__iEMOAogTP-4LIAQ&bvm=bv.68911936,d.cGU&psig=AFQjCNFigPPP5sqRz7WaSOyj83au8Kkolw&ust=1402851314831024

Offline dirtybiz

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 11:17:38 am »
Right on I use the Free Hop method with a hop catch myself. 

Interesting to see some of the different ideas though.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 11:43:33 am »
Ah, a bazooka tube. I used one of them in my whole hop days. These days I'm all pellets. These days it's in my mashtun.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 11:45:09 am »
All of my hops go commando

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 02:10:40 pm »
All of my hops go commando
Me too. I notice little difference from using strainer bags. I just dry hopped for the second time with no hop sack and used it on my auto siphon instead. It kept the hops in my fermenter when  transferring to my bottling bucket so I'm sold on letting it all hang out. :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 06:44:51 pm by swlusk »
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline bucknut

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 04:28:51 pm »
Commando.....don't fear the floaties ;D

Offline mharding73

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 05:27:16 pm »
I dump em right in.  They fall to the bottom. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 07:53:43 pm »
When brewing IPA's with large pellet hop additions do you  use Socks?

Just curious?
Stockings, actually. I stuff a knee-high nylon with about an ounce of whole cone hops. Then I zip tie it over the out of my autosiphon tubing. When I rack out of my kettle the whole hops filter any hop bits passing through.

If it's really mucky in the kettle I'll also put a nylon over the "in" of the siphon to keep it from getting clogged. I usually have to keep moving the siphon in a figure 8 to keep it from getting jammed up enough to break the siphon.

Dry hops go in bareback. I like to live on the edge
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 11:08:34 pm »
I like the idea of straining the wort through the whole hops in a stocking. Does this catch much trub?

The best part about the stockings (Leggs) is that they are so cheap as to be disposable. Very quick and easy to clean. Just throw the sock away...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis