Author Topic: Brewer Bio: Jon Sicotte  (Read 897 times)

Offline spikechiquet

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Brewer Bio: Jon Sicotte
« on: June 20, 2014, 05:04:22 AM »

(I'm the one of the left) :)

Who are you? Jon Sicotte
Homebrew Club: Glass City Mashers (Toledo, OH)
I've been a homebrewer since: Jan. 2011
Do you have a homebrewing disaster you'd like to share? My wife makes me use different plates under the burners since I run the stovetop so long it usually burns them black. There *may* have been a few spills as well!
What is your favorite style(s) to brew? Anything malty and balanced. I am NOT a hop head.
What style(s) will you never brew? Never say never!
What was the first beer you ever brewed?  How did it turn out? A Williams Brewing kit. Amarillo Ale. It didn't suck, but compared to my newer batches, yeah...it was just OK.
Have you ever had a homebrew mistake that turned out great? My take on Ben Franklin's Wee Heavy I thought was going to be a disaster since I put the hops in early (thinking it was a 60-minute boil..and it was for 90), but it came out very smooth and won a few awards in competitions.
What is your favorite beer recipe? I am still tweaking it, but I am trying to make a Hard Lemonade Ale. Figuring out the base styles still since it's kind of malt liquor-ish still.
Do you have a favorite homebrew trick or gadget that you've found to make your beer better/brewing easier, etc? Wort chillers are the best invention...EVAR!
Describe your brew system: A 5 gal. enamel canning pot that NEEDS to be replaced! My in-home stove with a Williams Brewing starter kit. I added a wort chiller after about a year of brewing and it really made me want to do it more since the amount of time went down significantly.
How frequently do you brew (times/month or /year)? 1-2/month...or whenever my wife lets me buy ingredients.
Do you have a good homebrew club story you'd like to share? It just happened! We went to the AHA:NHC in Grand Rapids. About 8 of us and we poured at Club Night from our "Real Ale Tree". Charlie Papazian stopped by and dubbed it the "gravitree". That's why he is the Prez!
What haven't we asked that you would really like to answer? I DJ for a local radio station part-time and I write for a few websites (TheBrewersMagazine.com and TheCup.us). I am also the competition director for my homebrew club.
If you could serve your homebrew to someone famous, who would it be and what would you give her/him? Well, I have drank with Good Morning America's Ginger Zee and eNews Channel Africa's Derek Van Dam...yeah, I know lots of TV weather people.
How many medals have you won from homebrew competitions? Last year was the first year I competed and I won 13 medals.
Do you brew alone, with friends or with someone you live with? I brew alone, my work schedule is 5 p.m. to 1 a.m., so I either brew after work or after my son goes to sleep on my off days, which is weekdays after 8 p.m. Yeah, nightowl brewing! I own it!
List some of the names you've given your beers: Slappy Pappy Strong Scotch, E'Tawun Ale (named after the Purdue guard), What's Left? Breakfast Stout, Here Comes Trubbel (Tripel/Dubbel hybrid)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Brewer Bio: Jon Sicotte
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 04:31:38 PM »
wow 13 medals in your first year competing. way to go!

welcome!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 05:14:50 PM »
Jon, welcome and Boiler up!
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 05:30:40 PM »
Another Jon - there's a few of us !  Welcome.  And very nice first year.
Jon H.