Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2014 NHC Grand Rapids Review  (Read 14509 times)

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
Re: 2014 NHC Grand Rapids Review
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2014, 08:29:14 am »
Anyone else get a really sore throat after the conference followed by sickness?  Seems several people I know did... Someone was the Outbreak monkey this weekend.

I was fine.  I did talk to you for several minutes during Club Night.  I was more concerned about the crowds at the airport.

I feel like I got lucky. Stayed away from glass sharing as much as I could and I even traveled around with two sickies for most of the event. The only issue I had was not wanting any beer for about 3 days after.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2014, 01:37:11 pm »
Anyone else get a really sore throat after the conference followed by sickness?  Seems several people I know did... Someone was the Outbreak monkey this weekend.

I was fine.  I did talk to you for several minutes during Club Night.  I was more concerned about the crowds at the airport.

I feel like I got lucky. Stayed away from glass sharing as much as I could and I even traveled around with two sickies for most of the event. The only issue I had was not wanting any beer for about 3 days after.
That last one is a common NHC malady.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline wv_brewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2014, 09:06:12 pm »
I had a great time.  It was my first.  Enjoyed almost all of it.  BNA9 party may have been my favorite part.  Did not intend to go but on the spur of the moment decided to go and had an exceptional time.  Does anyone know if there is a video of John Palmer's infamous "slide" anywhere on the net?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2014, 08:33:24 am »
I had a great time.  It was my first.  Enjoyed almost all of it.  BNA9 party may have been my favorite part.  Did not intend to go but on the spur of the moment decided to go and had an exceptional time.  Does anyone know if there is a video of John Palmer's infamous "slide" anywhere on the net?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Chip from chop and brew has a video of it. I saw it up somewhere, maybe on the BN webpage
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2014, 08:59:22 am »

About 37 seconds in...glad he's ok.  It looked brutal in person!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2014, 10:10:38 am »
Not sure where to post this... but noticed when going through the seminars posted that the wrong presenter is listed for "Brewing with New Hop Varieties".  It's listed as Brad Smith when it's Nathan Smith...
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2014, 10:31:22 am »
Not sure where to post this... but noticed when going through the seminars posted that the wrong presenter is listed for "Brewing with New Hop Varieties".  It's listed as Brad Smith when it's Nathan Smith...

Thanks...I'll send a message to Duncan to get it corrected.
Ron Price

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2014, 10:39:12 am »

Thanks...I'll send a message to Duncan to get it corrected.
They got the names mixed up with this and the Improving Clarity talk (that is listed as Nathan Smith)
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline wv_brewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2014, 04:17:37 am »

About 37 seconds in...glad he's ok.  It looked brutal in person!
Thanks.  That doesn't really do it justice but, yeah, obviously glad he was not injured.  He joked about it in the water seminar, saying that it had all been choreographed.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2014, 09:35:00 am »
To the AHA and local committees for future conferences:

I've been listening to a couple seminars that I couldn't make, and during the Q&A session, I would like to see them try a little harder to get people to use the microphone or at least have the presenter repeat the question.  During Tasty's talk, Justin was running around the room with the mike and Gordon had people come up to the microphone to ask their questions.  And their talks were a couple of the more heavily attended seminars.

I was listening to the cider panel and it was a little difficult trying to figure out what people were asking by the answers they were giving. 

Just a little constructive feedback for the future.  Thanks.
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2014, 10:10:06 am »

I've been listening to a couple seminars that I couldn't make, and during the Q&A session, I would like to see them try a little harder to get people to use the microphone or at least have the presenter repeat the question.  During Tasty's talk, Justin was running around the room with the mike and Gordon had people come up to the microphone to ask their questions.  And their talks were a couple of the more heavily attended seminars.

I was listening to the cider panel and it was a little difficult trying to figure out what people were asking by the answers they were giving. 

I'd agree, in most other seminars I've been to people line up behind the microphone to ask questions.  Then everyone gets heard as well as eliminates the problem of people raising their hands to ask questions and getting missed.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #116 on: June 24, 2014, 10:21:20 am »

I'd agree, in most other seminars I've been to people line up behind the microphone to ask questions.  Then everyone gets heard as well as eliminates the problem of people raising their hands to ask questions and getting missed.
I might use the line up method next year. We were to make sure questions were on the mic so the question was recorded. It is hard to see the hands sometimes.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2014, 11:15:12 am »
Here is my take on NHC 2014.

First, I am from the Grand Rapids area and went to school there (GVSU) so I loved being back.  Arrived on Wed. and got a chance to hit the old stomping grounds of Founders.  Went to Perrin, GRBC, Hopcat and Brewery Vivant.  Vivant...wow!  Awesome brewery and fantastic beers.  Grand Rapids has certainly come up in regards to craft beer and it was great to see GR doing awesome things.

The conference was great.  The expo was really fun and got to see a lot of cool stuff.  The sessions were hit or miss.  I was actually expecting a little more out of the sessions, but about half of them I went to were either very introductory or just the presenter going through the motions not really covering much. I actually left two early because of the lack of info and polish.  Some of the better ones I attended were very informative and dug deep into the topic.  Overall....really good info to be had and glad they are posted online.

Club night was awesome!  I had some amazing beers and focused on sours that evening.  Really blown away. 

Didn't go to the banquet even though a buddy and me had a co-brew in the finals.  really just because I didn't want to pay for the banquet and not be able to eat anything (I'm vegan). 

Overall, really great time meeting people, learning lots and being back home. 

Oh and the forum meet up was awesome!  Great meeting Denny, Drew, Ron, Amanda and others. 

Two thumbs up for GR and I am looking forward to San Diego. Cheers!
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing