Author Topic: 2014 NHC Grand Rapids Review  (Read 8915 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: 2014 NHC Grand Rapids Review
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2014, 02:54:34 PM »
Dislike = The $40 cab ride from the airport to JW Marriott.

In my humble opinion, a good public transportation system should be a requirement for hosting NHC from this point forward.  The better part of a c-note is too much for ground transportation to and from the airport. One can ride the light rail from BWI Airport to downtown Baltimore for a few dollars.

The dinner was fantastic. Good choice of beers with dinner.

Note to self:  You do not eat pork, diary, or eggs; therefore, order a special entree, salad, and dessert next time.

ahh the joys of restricted diets. I feel your pain
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2014, 02:54:52 PM »
Anyone else get a really sore throat after the conference followed by sickness?  Seems several people I know did... Someone was the Outbreak monkey this weekend.
Yup...soar throat, then sinus congestion/infection.  Yesterday was the worse but ears are still plugged up.

Hey...I think I shook your hand at club night...thanks a lot dkfick  ;)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2014, 03:10:50 PM »
Ok, I'll keep an open mind. I dont have to decide until November (vacation bidding)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2014, 03:32:54 PM »
Anyone else get a really sore throat after the conference followed by sickness?  Seems several people I know did... Someone was the Outbreak monkey this weekend.
Yup...soar throat, then sinus congestion/infection.  Yesterday was the worse but ears are still plugged up.

post NHC 2013 and 2012 are by far the sickest I've been in a couple decades.  I was pretty wary about glass sharing this time, and have thus far avoided illness...

anyone remember that suspect glass rinser in the social club in Philly? 

Offline Stevie

« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2014, 03:44:00 PM »
Illness after conferences is not uncommon. Few years back there was a hefty number of swine flu cases traced backed to PAX Con (Penney arcade expo) in Seattle.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2014, 03:46:37 PM »

haha yep.  I can't remember which beer I poured down your gullet though ;-)  I don't think my Xmas beer was on so if it was mine it would have been the cask bitter.  Nice to put a face to the name.  Still bummed I skipped the meet and greet.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2014, 03:49:18 PM »

Yeah I don't normally get sick but like once every couple years... but I'm pretty messed up right now lol.  I didn't do glass sharing so all I can really think of is the pitchers of water... or just having to talk to people with our faces closer due to general loudness at the expo etc...

post NHC 2013 and 2012 are by far the sickest I've been in a couple decades.  I was pretty wary about glass sharing this time, and have thus far avoided illness...

anyone remember that suspect glass rinser in the social club in Philly?
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2014, 04:09:14 PM »
I just have the usual June allergy issues.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Governing Committee
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2014, 04:33:24 PM »

Fortunately, I didn't get sick after coming home from the conference on Sunday. I actually feel good today.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2014, 04:37:11 PM »

Yeah, I do and Janis has said that she does also.  And I leave for a week in NY tomorrow....:(
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2014, 04:38:28 PM »

In my humble opinion, a good public transportation system should be a requirement for hosting NHC from this point forward.  The better part of a c-note is too much for ground transportation to and from the airport. One can ride the light rail from BWI Airport to downtown Baltimore for a few dollars.

Note to self:  You do not eat pork, diary, or eggs; therefore, order a special entree, salad, and dessert next time.
You can request the vegetarian meal on the spot if you can't/don't like the meat dish.  My girlfriend did this in Seattle since she doesn't like fish (worst Inuit ever).  Switching to the vegetarian dish even netted her some one on one Sean Paxton time since not many people ordered it and he wanted to discuss it with her.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2014, 05:26:19 PM »

You can request the vegetarian meal on the spot if you can't/don't like the meat dish.  My girlfriend did this in Seattle since she doesn't like fish (worst Inuit ever).  Switching to the vegetarian dish even netted her some one on one Sean Paxton time since not many people ordered it and he wanted to discuss it with her.

Unfortunately, several people did this and someone at our table who ordered the vegetarian meal had to wait 45 minutes for them to go back to the hotel, make more and return to the banquet hall.  She wasn't the only one either...there were a few at the tables behind us.We asked Sean about it and he said they made an extra 30 plates for this.  I hate to say it but if you want to switch, I think the people who ordered should be served first then give the option to the others.  I don't know how soon Sean knows what his menu is, but I would like to see it announced with enough time so a change could be made.
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline spaterson

• 1st Kit
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2014, 07:21:26 PM »
I'm finally recovering from the road trip (8 days AZ to Michigan w/ three per night brewery/brewpub stops) and the great time I had at NHC 2014.  It was my first, but definitely not my last!  People in Grand Rapids were great, and hats off to all the local AHA members in Grand Rapids as well as the AHA in Boulder for putting on a great show for us.

What I liked ... well just about everything, but my highlights were ...  Rubbing elbows with some of the well know brewers and names in homebrewing. The training sessions; "no I have no desire to start licking certain parts of my body, but I will definitely try a decoction mash very soon".  Those who attended the Long Live Lager session and Debunking Decoction session know what I mean.  Being a steward at the competition was a great experience for me, and thanks for the previous comments thanking us that do steward!  We actually really enjoy helping out.  Club night, Club night, Club night!  And finally, the banquet and the anticipation of them calling my name for a medal in Euro Amber Lagers.  It didn't happen this year, but it was quite a ride getting a gold in the first round and the possibility for medal in the final round.  My goals have been reset for San Diego.

Most of what I didn't like has already been posted, but I might add the following. It would have been nice to have a little more ventilation running in some of the larger attended sessions.  Maybe it was post club night, or lunch, or just getting burnt out( 8 day road trip), but Gordon Strong and Randy Mosher were putting out some great info Saturday afternoon, but I swear, I was nodding off and missed something. When do those recorded sessions come out?

Can't wait for 2015 and San Diego, it probably won't be a 8 day road trip next year, but just as much fun.

Oh and did I mention the Ninkasi winner, Jeremy Voeltz, was from our club in AZ, Arizona Society of Homebrewers,(ASH).  Talk about a great time, we from ASH loved it!  We will try for a repeat next year!!!
Club:ASH (Arizona Society of Homebrewers) - Head Steward
AHA Member
Fav Quotes: Weather is here, wish you were beautiful .... and
Poor spellers of the world UNTIE!

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2014, 07:44:23 PM »
Oh, one other thing that came to mind and seems insignificant but really helped, was the willingness of the volunteers to pass the pitcher of beer during the talks down the row, rather than trying to pour everyone's sample for them.  In Philly, I missed a ton of samples that were geared toward the talks because I was seated in the middle of the row, and they couldn't get to us easily.  I also didn't want to trip over everyone and disrupt the seminar to get the sample.  Maybe it was a PA law or something, but passing it down the row and having it come back the other was perfect.

Cheers to the volunteers for getting the beer out quickly, during the Long Liver Lagers session where they had to pour 3 different samples!
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2014, 08:34:06 PM »

The number of last minute alternate meal requests resulted in long waiting periods for those who chose the alternate meal because the NHC chefs severely underestimated the number of people who would not eat the main entree.  I did not get my meal until my table was well into dessert, and, for a while, it looked like I was going to go hungry because I could not eat the salad or the dessert.  I had assumed that I would not be able to eat the dessert due to the inclusion of diary and eggs.  However, I did not assume I would not be able to  eat the salad due to the inclusion of diary (salad is usually a vegan food safety net).

In my humble opinion, pork and seafood are poor choices as entrees, especially when attendees will not know what is being served until the day of the banquet.  Besides people like me who live a mostly vegan lifestyle, but who resort to limited pollo-pescetarianism as a food safety net while away from home (poulty is a banquet staple), there are plenty of people who do not eat pork or shellfish on religious grounds.  The AHA needs to consider making the banquet menu available upon request before registration. They also need to put serious though into including a true vegan meal option that includes a dessert and a salad that does not contain eggs, dairy, meat, or animal byproducts (e.g., gelatin is an animal byproduct). 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 09:21:11 PM by S. cerevisiae »