Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: UGH! WhiteLabs liquid yeast practically exploded on opening  (Read 1663 times)

Offline jasongael

• Cellarman
So, I was making my 2nd ever batch of homebrew thinking I was doing even better than my awesome 1st batch.... then it came time to cast the yeast... while shaking it up it seemed to be leaking slightly and the solid was all at one end of the tube, while the liquid by itself... harding shaking did get it to dissolve a little, but opening caused a "spitting" pop of yeast ooozing out ... so I quickly opened all the way and threw into the carboy.. but all it seemed to do was ... sink. :(  after a while of the wort sitting appearing to do nothing, I made an executive decision to cast the dry yeast pack I had handy... and I did. and it seems it worked well. The bubbler is going strong, and the foam grew and looks great! The wort is moving and a groovin' in activity.. However, 3rd day into it.. the wort appears completely foggy!

Is that normal? Is it going to clear up a bit after a couple more days? Did I over yeast? Did I kill my beer?

THANKS AHEAD OF TIME! AND HAPPY FATHERS DAY!
"May your glass be ever full, may the roof over your head be always strong, and may you be in heaven a half-hour before the devil knows you're dead."

We'll drink to that.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
Re: UGH! WhiteLabs liquid yeast practically exploded on opening
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 06:08:54 pm »
RDWHAHB  It'll be fine. 
The yeast will normally just sink like that and it usually takes a few hours before there are visible signs of fermentation.  They don't start fizzing and foaming as soon as they touch wort.

Also, no, you didn't overpitch.  In fact, most home brewers will take a vial (or smack pack)
and make a starter to grow more yeast cells and then pitch that.

HTH-

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 06:11:27 pm »
nothing wrong.

Some yeasts will clump quite solidly. this is called highly floculent yeast. the way to do it int he future is to gently open the vial first while the  yeast is cold and un shaken. reseal and then shake well. open slowly to release the pressure and then pitch. it may be lumpy but it will do what it needs to do once in your beer. at this point you over pitched by quite a bit but it will likely be good beer still. maybe even great.

wort is cloudy while the yeast work, the yeast will work for a few days it will drop bright when it is done. patience. leave it alone and come back in a week.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jasongael

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 06:21:49 pm »
Awesome! THANKS GUYS! Gonna have a first taste of my 1st batch tomorrow evening! w00t! Pretty excited!
"May your glass be ever full, may the roof over your head be always strong, and may you be in heaven a half-hour before the devil knows you're dead."

We'll drink to that.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 09:33:54 am »
Added bonus at the NHC they were displaying the new packaging they are switching to.  Should eliminate the exploding tubes I believe... With the added benefit of being even more sterile.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 07:16:48 am »

So, I was making my 2nd ever batch of homebrew thinking I was doing even better than my awesome 1st batch.... then it came time to cast the yeast... while shaking it up it seemed to be leaking slightly and the solid was all at one end of the tube, while the liquid by itself... harding shaking did get it to dissolve a little, but opening caused a "spitting" pop of yeast ooozing out ... so I quickly opened all the way and threw into the carboy.. but all it seemed to do was ... sink. :(  after a while of the wort sitting appearing to do nothing, I made an executive decision to cast the dry yeast pack I had handy... and I did. and it seems it worked well. The bubbler is going strong, and the foam grew and looks great! The wort is moving and a groovin' in activity.. However, 3rd day into it.. the wort appears completely foggy!

Is that normal? Is it going to clear up a bit after a couple more days? Did I over yeast? Did I kill my beer?

THANKS AHEAD OF TIME! AND HAPPY FATHERS DAY!

Research making a starter. A pitch of liquid yeast is really only adequate for about a 1.040 ale, and that is assuming it is extremely fresh. If starters are too complicated at this point stick with dry yeast.

As far as liquid vials go, always dunk the vial in sanitizer and open it slowly to vent pressure like you would do a shaken soda 2 liter cap.