Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: GCBC 1BBL Pilot Build  (Read 7998 times)

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
GCBC 1BBL Pilot Build
« on: June 15, 2014, 07:41:21 pm »
     After being "Let go" from my long term job of 10+ years that I was told I would take ownership of in April of Last year, I decided to delve far deeper into brewing.  After 4-6 months of down time i decided to take the plunge.  I had been doing lots of research and talking to brewers and decided that an Electric setup would be the way to go.   I made arrangements with a friend of mine who is an electrician and after confirmation that he would take on the job, away we went.

After doing some extra research I decided to buy DIY kits from Kal over at Theelectricbrewery.com.  While more expensive then some of the other options, I liked the Functionality and Durability of Kals setup. In September we started ordering kits and its been a busy Winter!  I finished the CP about a month ago and the electricity is just now getting finished up.  The harsh New England Winter we had slowed down certain aspects unbearably so.

Heating elements

RTD Sensors

Plumbings

Herms Coils

Part 2 too follow.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 07:54:05 pm by Jeff M »
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
Re: GCBC 1BBL Pilot Build
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 07:45:41 pm »
CP Construction - This Control Panel is by far the most intimidating thing i have ever attempted to build. It took me over 6 months to tweak and complete, and I learned SO MUCH by building it.

Part 3 Up Next.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 07:53:12 pm »
Brew Stand Build

And now we will start putting it all together!

The brew stand has just been set into place

And after about 15 pictures i wont put on here

Stopped for the night after troubleshooting the CP after plugging it in for the first time.  The Amp meter was fluctuating and after nearly tearing apart the wiring, I walked away, did some more reading and found that the problem was too low of a voltage on the Amp meter power supply.  Tomorrow i will start punching holes for all the hardware!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 08:15:28 pm »
nice! way to turn a lemon into beer!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 08:37:57 pm »
nice! way to turn a lemon into beer!

Thank Jonathan.  First brew is on the 22nd.  7 Days and counting!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 11:27:45 pm »
Niiice!

Sorry about the JOB. They're overrated anyway. And good source of betrayal as well.

This is a pilot build? Are you planning on something bigger?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 04:49:32 am »

My plan is to use this to pilot a bunch of recipes and understand yeast handling etc.  In a year or so ill start looking for a location, write a business plan, apply for permits etc etc.  Ill buy new 2.5bbl vessels and use it on this system since i dont have the kind of money needed for anything bigger.  It will be a lot of work for not much, but other companies around here have been very successful with the same scale brewery.   I also know of pro brewers on this forum who didnt start with much, and with some hard work have done a bang up job of it.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 06:37:56 pm »
Time for updates.

Stained and Polycoated the Stand.

Leak tested and cleaned the Vessls

The Calm Before the Brew with the first victim present.

Doughing in.  An easy day with only 40 Lbs of grain

The Kettle post chilling.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 06:39:40 pm by Jeff M »

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 07:40:19 am »
That is awesome!
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 10:39:27 am »
Very, very nice setup...and best of luck to you guys! :)
Ron Price

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 11:03:55 am »

Thanks Ron.  I know you are in the process, hope you the best of luck!
Cheers,
Jeff

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 04:02:42 pm »
When you brew 1BBL at a time, you gotta have a way to dispense 1BBL at a time.  In comes the 15CF Keezer.

Collar Dryfit

Just waiting for a few parts to finish up the 3rd and 4th tap.

First brew on the new system will be transfered to Keg tomorrow to start dryhopping while being Force carbed.  Cant wait!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:37:35 am by Jeff M »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 10:36:13 am »

Thanks Ron.  I know you are in the process, hope you the best of luck!
Cheers,
Jeff

Thanks Jeff! :)
Ron Price

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 02:12:12 pm »
In the process of planning my Ferm Chamber.  Im going to Cool it with a 5k BTU AC and heat it with a small personal Heater.  It will be 4x6x8 and will accommodate my 1bbl conical with room for a second conical and 4-6 bucket fermenters for oddball fermentations/yeast experiments.

Feel Free to browse through the design, it may be hard to read cause its pencil and paper.  My plan is to use 2x4's for the structure and 3 inches of Foam board to make it about R15.  I will be using Pressure Treated wood for the floor because it will rest directly on the floor and id like to resist any water and bugs that may want to invade.  Would love to hear Criticism, I am hardly a engineer.

Jeff

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 10:22:59 am »

My plan is to use this to pilot a bunch of recipes and understand yeast handling etc.  In a year or so ill start looking for a location, write a business plan, apply for permits etc etc.  Ill buy new 2.5bbl vessels and use it on this system since i dont have the kind of money needed for anything bigger.  It will be a lot of work for not much, but other companies around here have been very successful with the same scale brewery.   I also know of pro brewers on this forum who didnt start with much, and with some hard work have done a bang up job of it.

Yep, we we're one that started with a keggle system, and still fermented in buckets for the first year of sales.  Even now, we just have a 1bbl solution, with only the tower of power for automation.  Looking at some of these pictures, my pro-brewer system, is quite archaic as compared to many home-brewers.