Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Zymurgy's 2014 Best Beers in America -- the results are in!  (Read 4836 times)

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
Check out the full results from the 2014 Best Beers in America survey!
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline wsoublo

• Cellarman
Re: Zymurgy's 2014 Best Beers in America -- the results are in!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 04:27:45 pm »
This list is getting stale.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 04:33:08 pm »
The problem is some beers are just too regional to be tried by a wide enough audience.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 04:54:41 pm »
My favorite beer changes by the season, hour, mood, weather, etc.  I rarely have the same beer twice when I go out to a beer bar or brewpub. 'Best' is totally subjective - "Favorite' might be better. There are great examples of every style.
Jon H.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 10:10:43 pm »

I totally agree.  I propose that this annual waste of print be replaced by the old 2nd and 3rd place NHC recipes that were in Zymurgy back during its classic period.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 05:10:56 am »

I totally agree.  I propose that this annual waste of print be replaced by the old 2nd and 3rd place NHC recipes that were in Zymurgy back during its classic period.
I'd be much more interested in that.

I'm curious how many people vote. I never do, as I think lists like this are silly.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 07:22:52 am »
I agree about the staleness. I suppose the same people are voting each year and voting for the same beers.

I would also love to see the recipes for the other medals, even if it only gets up on the website.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 07:38:01 am »

Spot on, chumster.  I can't remember the last time I voted.  I think any kind of "best of" list based on subjective evaluation is pretty worthless.  And great idea about more homebrew recipes, instead.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 07:57:25 am »
How do so many people get to try Pliney the Elder?  I'm sure it is a great beer, but we can't get it here.  I do like Bell's Two Hearted Ale, we can get that here in a can or in bottles. 

I would like to see the NHC medaling recipes as well.  I'd never get a chance to brew them all, but it would be a great education piece for me and others I'm sure.

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 08:08:38 am »

I agree - that would be much more interesting and useful than printing something that can easily be found on Beer Advocate or Rate Beer any time you want. 
We get it - lots of people like big, popular, hoppy Double IPA's and Imperial Stouts.  No news here.  Move along.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 09:11:27 am »
kinda silly, and telling, when no foreign beers make your top 50.  Again.

if we're going to do this, I will reiterate what I've said in previous years:  Call it what it is - Homebrewers' Favorite Beers.  Not "here's the best beers in America" ...because it is not that.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 10:42:27 am »
kinda silly, and telling, when no foreign beers make your top 50.  Again.

if we're going to do this, I will reiterate what I've said in previous years:  Call it what it is - Homebrewers' Favorite Beers.  Not "here's the best beers in America" ...because it is not that.
Imported beers used to have a large % of the survey. Now with so many good local beers available, it is all US beers.

Yes, it should be called "Homebrewers Favorite Hyped or Widely Distributed Beers". On beer I voted for was La Cumbre Elevated IPA, which is not on the list, but has won at GABF. It was one tasty beer when I was in Albuquerque at the brewery.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!