Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Equipment at NHC  (Read 7595 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: New Equipment at NHC
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2014, 10:42:58 am »
Blichmann always has a new gadget in their lineup at NHC. Not sure if the mashheater/hoprocket gadget is brand new but did get to hear the details on that one. The disposable beer bag (growler) system seemed interesting. I always enjoy walking around and seeing new and interesting inventions at the expo.
They had a prototype hoprocket/heater in Philly, so it is pretty new. Are they selling it yet?

Yes...I believe they are selling it now.
Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2014, 06:45:29 pm »
Picobrew Zymatic.  Incredible technology.  It doesn't exactly have a gal. limit.  It's limited to 9 lb. of grain.  Although I'm told it has a "high efficiency mode" for high gravity beers.

Thanks Denny - I specifically asked and was told 3 gal. That's a training problem then.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2014, 06:57:28 pm »
Well to be fair it hooks up to a 5 gallon corny as a fermenter... As supplied you're not making > 2.5-3 gallons without a mess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2014, 10:08:05 am »
The other sizes are the commercial pitches.  It's going to be the same size culture just in a pouch instead of those horrible vials that explode all over you.

Am I the only person who would be interested in larger pitch sizes being available to homebrewers?

I think many of us would be.  Of course, then we'd b**** about how much more it cost.

+1.  considering how cheap and easy it is to make a starter, i wouldnt pay more for yeast.  Heck, im already pissed i have to pay 8 bucks when i could get away with 4 bucks worth of yeast.

I spoke with Chris White at NHC about the possibility of getting a few heirloom cultures that I have identified added to the White Labs collection.   

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2014, 11:47:08 am »
I'm interested in the Blichman RIMS system.  Any idea about the best way to get temperature control without getting their Tower of Power?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2014, 11:53:42 am »
See I'd go the other way. Buy tower of power x2 and build the rest.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2014, 12:41:46 pm »
True - that's the difficult part.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2014, 01:34:50 pm »
I was very interested in the blichman heating system. I actually like the proprietary connector since I could unhook it and not have cords hanging off my brew kettle. I have a few other investments I have to make first like a pump and oxygen but in a few years, might be on the Christmas list.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2014, 02:50:51 pm »
I'm interested in the Blichman RIMS system.  Any idea about the best way to get temperature control without getting their Tower of Power?

You could build a simple manual control unit using a solid-state voltage regulator and potentiometer for under $100.00.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2014, 09:32:02 pm »
I spoke with Chris White at NHC about the possibility of getting a few heirloom cultures that I have identified added to the White Labs collection.

That'd be cool.  What do you have?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2014, 11:11:51 pm »

But I already have the hop rocket. 

Seems like it would be easy to put a a Thermowell into the input side of the HR then use a typical temp controller to turn the power on and off.  But I'm no expert.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2014, 06:09:44 am »
But I already have the hop rocket. 

Seems like it would be easy to put a a Thermowell into the input side of the HR then use a typical temp controller to turn the power on and off.  But I'm no expert.
FWIW you put the thermocouple on the OUTPUT side of the heating plenum, it takes too long for the mash output to respond to temperature changes.  TC on the plenum out (mash tun in) prevents too much overshoot.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2014, 06:13:54 am »

You could build a simple manual control unit using a solid-state voltage regulator and potentiometer for under $100.00.
You can buy one for about $60! www.auberins.com
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2014, 08:04:20 am »
You can buy one for about $60! www.auberins.com

The price that I quoted was for the SSVR, control potentiometer, heat sink (most SSVR seem to produce 1.5 watts of waste heat per amp of current drawn), enclosure, 10/3 power cord assembly, on/off switch, and a twist lock inlet (i.e., a complete replacement for the Tower of Power controller).  A basic SSVR or a PID controller can be had for under $60.00, but a brewer still has the build a complete control unit that includes the other components listed above.   Working with high-current 220/240VAC is not cheap.  Ten-three power cord runs about $1.80 a foot.  A flanged 30A amp twist-lock inlet runs around $25.00. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 11:53:55 am by S. cerevisiae »

Offline spaterson

• 1st Kit
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2014, 04:54:07 pm »
I purchased the "Clear Beer Draught" at the AHA conference.  Here is my intended use. (1)Sanitize a keg and Clear Beer device. (2) Hook up Clear Beer and place gelatin finings in keg. (3) Rack from primary to keg. (4) Seal and purge head space with CO2. (5) Gently rock keg to mix gelatin finings. (6) Cold crash. (7) Transfer to serving keg 5-6 days, carbonate to appropriate level and serve.

As the Clear Beer gadget will be drawing from the top of the keg, my thought here is I should have some pretty "Clear Beer" transferred to the serving keg!

Thoughts?  I'm not sure if step (5) is needed or might even be counter productive.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 05:04:55 pm by spaterson »
Club:ASH (Arizona Society of Homebrewers) - Head Steward
AHA Member
Fav Quotes: Weather is here, wish you were beautiful .... and
Poor spellers of the world UNTIE!