Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A father and son bond over brewing  (Read 1863 times)

Offline joe6pack

• 1st Kit
A father and son bond over brewing
« on: June 11, 2014, 11:28:53 pm »

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
Re: A father and son bond over brewing
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 09:01:36 am »
My Dad would have gotten SUCH a kick out of my brewing.  Unfortunately he passed 18 years before I started.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 09:49:27 am »
I brewed my second batch ever with my father last year on July 5th, just before his birthday. He had a blast and loved the beer. It was a little stressful for me what with reading recipe, answering his questions, and doing all the additions for a Pliny clone extract kit. I would not change a thing, and hope to brew with him again this summer ;D
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 01:39:11 pm »
My Dad would have gotten SUCH a kick out of my brewing.  Unfortunately he passed 18 years before I started.

Same for me.  Dad would have gotten a kick out of it.  Parkinson's started taking him before my brothers and I could start to teach him.  He's been gone seven years this year.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 03:15:34 pm »
My dad is still kicking hard but doesn't drink! He thinks it's cool that I brew and asks questions but that's about it.

My kids, OTOH, think it's really cool and enjoy spending time with me during brew days helping out even though they are not of age. As they go through the various science classes it's fun how they can relate some of the tools of the trade back to things they did in class or relate to things like yeast and conversion, enzymes, etc.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 11:58:51 pm »
My dad has brewed with me a few times. He went with me tonight to the release of my first beer on a commercial system at phantom ales in anaheim.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

- Charles

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 12:34:07 am »
That is a huge success and a huge deal that your father was there. Congrats to you both on this journey, and this achievement!

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline dcb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Num, me vexo?
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 07:02:56 am »
Thanks for posting that.  My dad would have loved it, the process, the geek factor, the telling stories around a boiling kettle.  He was so fastidious and I'd have loved to be able to focus that toward cleaning and sanitizing.

If your dad's still with you, enjoy the time you have and be good to him.   I've hated Fathers Day the last 5 years and end up feeling pretty sorry for myself.

Offline bosoxbrent

• 1st Kit
    • MacAloney.net
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 11:07:39 am »
Thanks for sharing that story.  It got me thinking that, out of all the things I've done with my Dad over the years, I've never brewed a batch of beer with him.  It's a shame that I've never actually thought about taking the time to teach him about what goes on behind the scenes with the beers that I create. 

Over the years he's always been super patient in teaching my brother and I all the DIY skills he has, hoping that someday it will pay off and we would be better people for it.  It was great spending all that time with him, but the more I think about it, I'm starting to realize the fact I brew some pretty cool beers is likely a result of his lessons on work ethic, attention to detail, and careful planning.

I think it is time that I say thanks by flying him into town for the weekend so he can go through a brew day with me.  I think it would be a lot of fun to go through the whole process of recipe formulation, supplies gathering at the local homebrew store, and then the actual brew day activities with him.

Thanks for posting this article and getting my head moving in this direction.  Should be an awesome time!

Cheers!
-Brent