Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Banana from WLP029?!  (Read 4586 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Banana from WLP029?!
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 10:44:31 am »
I use WLP029 for my Kolsch and have used it a dozen times or more without ever getting banana. That's very strange. I too would contact White Labs for further discussion.
Ron Price

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 09:59:51 am »
Ok, the take form the folks at While Labs essentially is that because I pitched at such a low temperature and held it there through fermentation until clean-up time, this condition may have stressed the yeast sufficiently to cause the production of Isomyl Acetate, which is the banana aroma I'm getting. Still doesn't explain why it dropped in 4 days, but there it is.

Next time maybe I'll pitch at 62 F, and once active, I'll drop it slowly to 60-ish and let it rip until done, then raise back up to finish out.
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 11:46:37 am »
Ok, the take form the folks at While Labs essentially is that because I pitched at such a low temperature and held it there through fermentation until clean-up time, this condition may have stressed the yeast sufficiently to cause the production of Isomyl Acetate, which is the banana aroma I'm getting. Still doesn't explain why it dropped in 4 days, but there it is.

Next time maybe I'll pitch at 62 F, and once active, I'll drop it slowly to 60-ish and let it rip until done, then raise back up to finish out.

I pitch this yeast at 56-58 all the time, hold for a couple days then ramp up to 64 for a couple days then finish out at 66-68. That is what gives me the best white grape/pear aroma, which is why I really like this strain.