Author Topic: Brewer Bio: Joe Eberhardt  (Read 1130 times)

Offline TwistedTerrain

• 1st Kit
Brewer Bio: Joe Eberhardt
« on: June 20, 2014, 01:47:02 PM »

I'm the big kid in the middle!
Home Town (City, State): Allentown, PA (for now)
Homebrew Club: None currently
I've been a homebrewer since: 2002
Do you have a homebrewing disaster you'd like to share? I made a Strawberry Chocolate Porter and added the puree to the fermenter after 5 days of fermentation. I figured it would be done in 2-3 days and did not check with my hydrometer. Well I bottled it and about a week later I have a nice river of beer flowing down my cellar floor drain after a small mini battle when all the bottles exploded from the unfermented sugars.
What is your favorite style(s) to brew? I like to brew session farmhouse ales the best, but I like all beer.
What style(s) will you never brew? Never say never.
What was the first beer you ever brewed? I brewed a cream ale. How did it turn out? I don't think it was too bad on flavor but it really had no head or carbonation. You live and learn and made it better next time.
Have you ever had a homebrew mistake that turned out great? I have made many, Vanilla Cream Ale must be te BEST I mad as I needed to make 25 gallons for my sister-in-laws wedding last year.
What is your favorite beer recipe? Right now I like my Chocolate Oatmeal Stout the best.
Are you a BJCP Judge?  No If so, what is your rank and how long have you been judging?
Do you have a good beer judging story you'd like to share with the rest of the homebrewing world? No
Do you have a favorite homebrew trick or gadget that you've found to make your beer better/brewing easier, etc? I love using the paint can nylon bags from the big box stores for my BIAB.
Describe your brew system. Currently I am using a propane burner, 7.5 gallon pot with a ball valve, homemade mash paddles, glass carboys (6.5gal and 3gal), temperature controlled fermentation chamber and a smoker for my rauch style beers.
How frequently do you brew (times/month or /year)?1-2 times a month
What is your favorite malt?  I like 2-Row Why? Its easy to work with and I can squeeze a little more efficiency out of it when I double crush it.
What is your favorite hop? Cascade and Liberty Why? I grow them in the back yard and I love fresh hops in my beer.
Do you have a favorite or house yeast? Safale SA-05 What qualities do you like about that yeast? I like how it is so neutral and is easy to work with. It gives me great results all the time.
If you could serve your homebrew to someone famous, who would it be and what would you give her/him? I think I would want to serve it to Sam Cologne from DFH. I love his beers and would want to share my love for the craft with him.
Can you send a picture or two of some labels you've created for your homebrew? None created yet.
What's the most unusual ingredient you've ever used in a brew? I made a Fire in the Hole Cervesa brewed with dried Chipolte peppers and a whole fresh Jalapeno from my garden.
Do you have any pets or kids named after beer styles or ingredients? No
How many medals have you won from homebrew competitions? None, yet!
Do you brew alone, with friends or with someone you live with? Well it depends, My neighbor brews and we usually have a brew session 2-3 times a year together.
Are you an indoor or outdoor brewer? Outdoor all the way, easier to clean up if there is a boilover or a "mistake"
List some of the names you've given your beers. Which is your favorite?
  • Angry Pumpkin
  • Banana Creme in Her Pie Hole - Most Favorite
  • Poppin' Er Cherry Wheat
  • Red Wit and Blue
  • Rockin' Raspberry Wheat
  • Coocoo for Coconut
  • F-Me IPA
  • Fire in the Hole

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Brewer Bio: Joe Eberhardt
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 04:28:52 PM »
welcome to the forum! it's a great place to hang out and chock full of helpful obsessives err... hobbyists
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Brewer Bio: Joe Eberhardt
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 01:51:43 AM »
    Angry Pumpkin
    Banana Creme in Her Pie Hole - Most Favorite
    Poppin' Er Cherry Wheat
    Red Wit and Blue
    Rockin' Raspberry Wheat
    Coocoo for Coconut
    F-Me IPA
    Fire in the Hole

I think Poppin' Er Cherry Wheat would be my favorite! Welcome to the forum!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Ringler Pilsner (thanx Ron)
Conditioning: BVIP (thanx Denny)
In keg: Traquair House Clone (Skotrat style)
In the works:  Czech Dark Lager, American Pale Ale