Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Polaris  (Read 2441 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Polaris
« on: June 05, 2014, 02:31:27 pm »
This is an odd hop indeed. I guess it is supposed to be similar to simco. I'm not sure I think it is very much line simco at all but not sure what it is like.There is some pine but it is overwhelmed by an aroma I want to call "damp basement". Not really "dank", but "damp".

There is also some fruitiness here that I can't really describe. A faint melon or maybe it is kiwi.

Flavor is melon or kiwi. Very smooth bitterness. But not a very enjoyable aroma hop, at least not for me.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Polaris
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 02:33:28 pm »
Thanks for the warning.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 02:39:34 pm »
Polaris has about twice the oil content of Citra, so it literally drowns out every other hop it is combo'd with when used in normal amounts. When I used it, I just got intense, clingy, resin note from it. It basically seems like it would turn any beer into an IIPA from a flavor perspective. I've been gunshy to use it again, but I'm thinking that if you use maybe 1/3 to 1/4 your usual late-hop amounts you might get a different result.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 02:55:39 pm »
Dang, mouth is watering now. Not

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 04:34:01 pm »
I think I'll pass it by for a while in favor of other hops that sound better. There are other resiny hops that bring more to the party from the sound of it. I'm sure I'll break down and try it at some point though. Gotta say, 'damp kiwi' is never something I shoot for in a hop blend.    ;D
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 04:44:49 pm »
I think I'll pass it by for a while in favor of other hops that sound better. There are other resiny hops that bring more to the party from the sound of it. I'm sure I'll break down and try it at some point though. Gotta say, 'damp kiwi' is never something I shoot for in a hop blend.    ;D

it conjures visions of a grumpy flightless bird. All bedraggled feathers and disdainful looks.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 04:47:29 pm »

it conjures visions of a grumpy flightless bird. All bedraggled feathers and disdainful looks.

Might make for grumpy, disdainful looks from the brewer, too.   :D
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 05:09:08 pm »
On the subject of trying hops I think I'm gonna make an Azacca APA this weekend.  It sounds like one of those hops that people perceive pretty differently. One friend described it as citrus, stonefruit, and a hint of pine.  Another described it as straight tropical fruity but pretty interesting, unlike some of the candy-like hops we've talked about lately. I need to see for myself.
Jon H.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 07:05:50 pm »
On the subject of trying hops I think I'm gonna make an Azacca APA this weekend.  It sounds like one of those hops that people perceive pretty differently. One friend described it as citrus, stonefruit, and a hint of pine.  Another described it as straight tropical fruity but pretty interesting, unlike some of the candy-like hops we've talked about lately. I need to see for myself.

I made a single hop IPA using Azacca in May.  Here are my notes: The aroma is quite enjoyable: Tropical fruits & Citrus mainly. The flavor majors on Mango, and ripe pineapple and generic citrus (maybe bending toward tangerine), Juicy fruit gum.

I liked it.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 05:57:01 am »

I made a single hop IPA using Azacca in May.  Here are my notes: The aroma is quite enjoyable: Tropical fruits & Citrus mainly. The flavor majors on Mango, and ripe pineapple and generic citrus (maybe bending toward tangerine), Juicy fruit gum.

I liked it.

Thanks, man !   It sounds like a good hop for a blend anyway.
Jon H.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 07:16:07 am »
Mmm. Maybe combine with Summit for a 'Root Cellar IPA'
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 09:01:06 am »
Mmm. Maybe combine with Summit for a 'Root Cellar IPA'

Root Cellar IPA sounds right up there with the famous Tomato Weizen. Maybe with a chaser of NB's Bacon beer.    :D
Jon H.

Offline CASK1

• Cellarman
  • Jacksonville, FL
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 06:52:57 pm »
A local microbrewery did a single-hop black IPA with Polaris a year or so ago. Dankest beer I've ever had by a  longshot. It sold slowly, and I have to say after a couple of months it started to grow on me. The age mellowed it out quite a bit.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 08:10:21 pm »
Just had Polaris Amber from Kuhnhenn at a beer dinner still my local, it work well with the rib dish it was paired with.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 02:19:02 am »
Just had Polaris Amber from Kuhnhenn at a beer dinner still my local, it work well with the rib dish it was paired with.

I have 10 gallons I'll be putting on at tasting room soon. Be interesting to see people's impressions.