Author Topic: Brewer Bio Joe Leucht  (Read 1260 times)

Offline fatguybrew

• 1st Kit
Brewer Bio Joe Leucht
« on: June 22, 2014, 09:41:18 PM »

Who Are You : Joe Leucht 

Home Town (City, State): Huntley, IL

Homebrew Club: Northern Illinois Homebrewer Collective

I've been a homebrewer since: 2007

Do you have a homebrewing disaster you'd like to share? My friend and I left a dump valve on the conical open and forgot about it. 15 minutes later 7 gallons of American Brown Ale was all over the basement floor

What is your favorite style(s) to brew? IPA's, Hefe, Smoked Beers and Spice Beers

What style(s) will you never brew? Sours, just not my cup o tea

What was the first beer you ever brewed?  An American Pale Ale. I forgot to add the hops, YUK!

Have you ever had a homebrew mistake that turned out great? Yes. Adding Black Strap Molasis insted of Maple. Delicous in my brown porter.

What is your favorite beer recipe? Well, that depends when you ask me. Right now it is my Smoked American Style Blonde Ale or my Peppercorn 2xRyPA. I have to flip a coin on that one.

Are you a BJCP Judge?  If so, what is your rank and how long have you been judging? No, but I will be going for it this year.

Do you have a favorite homebrew trick or gadget that you've found to make your beer better/brewing easier, etc? My inline O2 is so great. It is in line with the exit on my plate chiller. Love it!

Describe your brew system.15 Gallon HERMS. 20 Gallon kettle, 120 QT Mash Tun (Cooler), 15 Gallon Sankey HLT with HERMS coil, 2 pumps, Duda Diesel 40 plate chiller, inline O2.

How frequently do you brew (times/month or /year)? I try to brew once a month, but most of the time it turns out to be once every 5-6 weeks. Usually 15 gallon batches back to back.

What is your favorite malt?  Why? Marris Otter. Well, it just has the toaste character I love so much.

What is your favorite hop? Why? No doubt it is Belma. It is cheap, unique, and dual purpose. Very good new American variety.

Do you have a favorite or house yeast? What qualities do you like about that yeast? My favortie is Wyeast West Yorkshire. Chewy, Stone Fruit, High Floculation. Just Awesome!

Do you have a good homebrew club story you'd like to share? What happens at Club Night stays at Club Night.

What's the most unusual ingredient you've ever used in a brew? Hibiscus. Gives it great color.

How many medals have you won from homebrew competitions? 17 (bronze at NHC 2011 Category 21 : Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer)

Do you brew alone, with friends or with someone you live with? Yes to all of them. I like to spread the word about the hobby

Are you an indoor or outdoor brewer? Garage

List some of the names you've given your beers. Which is your favorite? Malcontent, Smoke on the Blonde Ale, Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die, Tanuki, Chunky Dunk, Edge of Autumn, "Futago" (双)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 09:50:07 PM by fatguybrew »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Brewer Bio Joe Leucht
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 09:47:14 PM »
Welcome Joe !  Bunch of great brewers here who are good people too.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 10:28:20 PM »
Welcome and share the wisdom.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 06:01:38 PM »
Good to see you on here Joe!
Mark Gres

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 07:50:09 PM »
Welcome! Always great to see some McHenry County folks here. I grew up in Wonder Lake.
Kyle M.