Author Topic: Dchijarhead  (Read 1060 times)

Offline DCHIJARHEAD

• 1st Kit
  • If not Fishing I'm Brewing. Cheers
Dchijarhead
« on: June 22, 2014, 11:04:36 PM »
Who Are You:  Harold Covey, but I go by (Steve)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152552324462269&set=a.10152552324392269.1073741825.756472268&type=3&theater

I’m a retired Jarhead, I love to fish and brew.  My Son got me into brewing and gave me this gift of membership in AHA.  He is a Major and a JAG Officer in the Marine Corps. I retired in 93 as a MSgt.  I went to College at the same time as my son, became a lawyer, I went to work for NASA as a contractor.   I’m too old and cranky to do much else. Brewing seemed to be a way to mellow me out.

Home Town (City, State): Las Cruces, New Mexico

Homebrew Club: None

I've been a homebrewer since: 2011

Do you have a homebrewing disaster you'd like to share?  I have one right now where I brewed three batches for a work party and I allowed it to be too hot, and it turned out sour, whereas now I will be using two different brews to make up the disaster.
What is your favorite style(s) to brew?  I like just about any lager. 

What style(s) will you never brew?  I don’t like any beer that is over 6% or one that is too, thick.  Not crazy about stouts. 

What was the first beer you ever brewed?  How did it turn out?  My first was a partial brew kit Amber Ale.  It was very good and simple to make.

Have you ever had a homebrew mistake that turned out great?  I have added malt when it was not needed, due to the bad readings that were not mixed well.  That brew turned out stronger then I wanted but is was very good.

What is your favorite beer recipe? Steve's Las Cruces Lager (W/Local Hops), This is a modified Boston Lager that I make with my own Hops.  Simple/easy and cheap to make.   

Are you a BJCP Judge?  If so, what is your rank and how long have you been judging?  No

Do you have a good beer judging story you'd like to share with the rest of the homebrewing world?  No

Do you have a favorite homebrew trick or gadget that you've found to make your beer better/brewing easier, etc?  Not yet.

Describe your brew system.  I have a homemade wood frame the has a high Water tank 11 gals the lets out into a 20 gal cooler for the Mash that lets out into 7 gal boil pot.  I control temp at each location.  Use a copper tube wart chiller.  Crush all my grain.
How frequently do you brew (times/month or /year)?  I will brew two the three times a month

What is your favorite malt?  Why?  Rahr Standard 2-Row, simple and flexible

What is your favorite hop? Why?  Cascade, it grows great in my garden.

Do you have a favorite or house yeast? No
What qualities do you like about that yeast?  I will use dry yeast for ale or a lager and only use liquid to fit a recipe. 

Do you have a good homebrew club story you'd like to share?  No

What haven't we asked that you would really like to answer?  I have tried to grow and malt my own grain.  Just as a learning experience.  That’s way too much work but growing hops is easy.  I also have fruit trees and grapes, and make wine that I use as gifts. 

If you could serve your homebrew to someone famous, who would it be and what would you give her/him?  No only family and friends.

Can you send a picture or two of some labels you've created for your homebrew?  I have only made one label for one brew, it was not that great.

What's the most unusual ingredient you've ever used in a brew?  I made root beer from scratch (no Extract) and used half of it as a Christmas Seasonal Brew.  It was unusual.

Do you have any pets or kids named after beer styles or ingredients?  No
How many medals have you won from homebrew competitions?  None, and will never happen

Do you brew alone, with friends or with someone you live with? Alone

Are you an indoor or outdoor brewer?  Outdoor Garage

List some of the names you've given your beers. Which is your favorite? No favorite name.

Fall off the Cliff Amber Ale
Arrogant Bastard Clone
Yuengling Clone
Farmhouse Brew
Perks of the Job Red Rye IPA
Steve's Las Cruces Lager (Local Hops)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Dchijarhead
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 11:08:42 PM »
Welcome Steve !  You came to the right forum.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Dchijarhead
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 12:40:12 AM »
Arrogant Bastart Clone! Now THAT is an awesome name! My kinda guy. Oorah