Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aging big beers in the keg  (Read 357 times)

Offline Tdevin

• 1st Kit
Aging big beers in the keg
« on: November 09, 2023, 12:41:56 pm »
I am getting ready to brew an Old Ale OG 1.076, and a Wee Heavy OG 1.098.  I plan to ferment both out in 6.5 gallon carboys, then transfer to  corny kegs.  I plan to age the Old Ale 3-6 months in the keg and the Wee for probably around 12 months in the keg.  I have a room in my basement that sits around 66 in the summer to down around 60 in the winter.  Should I put the kegs in that room, or am I better off setting up a fridge at 50-55?  I really don't want to tie up a fridge that long.  I'm also planning on a Irish Red Ale and a Lambic that I plan on leaving in secondary glass carboys in this room.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Aging big beers in the keg
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 01:35:42 pm »
I am getting ready to brew an Old Ale OG 1.076, and a Wee Heavy OG 1.098.  I plan to ferment both out in 6.5 gallon carboys, then transfer to  corny kegs.  I plan to age the Old Ale 3-6 months in the keg and the Wee for probably around 12 months in the keg.  I have a room in my basement that sits around 66 in the summer to down around 60 in the winter.  Should I put the kegs in that room, or am I better off setting up a fridge at 50-55?  I really don't want to tie up a fridge that long.  I'm also planning on a Irish Red Ale and a Lambic that I plan on leaving in secondary glass carboys in this room.

The colder the better.  Basement is OK (not great), fridge is much better. What's the reasoning behind secondary for an Irish red?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Tdevin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 02:01:14 pm »
Mispoke, Flanders Red, not Irish Red.  I guess with the 6 refrigerators I have going in the house already, what's 1 more lol.  What are your thoughts on the Lambic and Red in carboys in the basement?  Would colder be better for sours also?  These will be my first sours. The only other big beer I've stored for any time was a RIS that I left in a carboy in the basement for about 12 months that turned out very good.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2023, 05:57:01 pm »

I have kept some big beers in corny kegs up to 4 to 4-1/2 years w/o issues. Each time they were barrel aged first up to 18 months then kegged. As Denny stated, colder is definitely better. My opinion is 35-38*

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2023, 07:00:08 pm »
I'm also planning on a Irish Red Ale and a Lambic that I plan on leaving in secondary glass carboys in this room.

For the lambic:  There're some old CB&B podcasts where they interview several lambic brewers & gueuze blenders. One of them (Tilquin, I think) said he keeps his barrel room cooled below about 18C in the summer but does not heat in the winter.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2023, 07:22:24 pm »
The basement temperatures are fine for the sour beers
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2023, 01:50:32 pm »
I always use my keezer for storage. But then I don't drink a whole lot and I am the only drinker in the house so I have space for one or two kegs to do nothing but sit for long periods of time.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2023, 02:30:18 pm »
I've done in carny kegs as more of them fit into my converted chest freezer than other SS items. Will have SEDIMENT in the bottom. Therefore, I'd rather leave the sediment in the secondary and transfer the clear beer into the carny keg for serving. Doing in a carny keg makes it difficult, at least for me, to know when I'm getting close to the sediment. Also, need a very long racking tube.