Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: From Hobby to Career...Why not pursue a dream?  (Read 15227 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: From Hobby to Career...Why not pursue a dream?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 10:03:17 am »
And, it's like it never ends. This is an email I got from one of my partners today....

".... I will bring the app to our meeting, but basically we will all have to do an FBI and ABI background check. There is a $1000 manufacturers fee, as well as a $400 warehouse fee, and $100 worth of application fees..."

And FBI background check. Now I hope they don't need to know about that time at Ocean City, Maryland!  ::)

Offline bbump22

• Assistant Brewer
    • Bump City Brews
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 10:08:49 am »
What state are you applying in?
mmmm....beer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 10:58:29 am »
Huntsville, AL

Offline bbump22

• Assistant Brewer
    • Bump City Brews
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 11:05:20 am »
Are the federal laws the same across the US?  Have you found that you are jumping through more hoops with the TTB or State and District groups?  TTB requirements are the same regardless of which state you are in, correct? 
mmmm....beer

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 11:05:39 am »
both college grads (Virginia Tech '03)

Well, at least you got that going for you.  Myself (EE) and wifey (IEOR) are both VT '82
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 11:37:00 am »
Are the federal laws the same across the US?  Have you found that you are jumping through more hoops with the TTB or State and District groups?  TTB requirements are the same regardless of which state you are in, correct? 

I found this on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microbrewery

Look at the South. Almost the entire region is woefully lacking. Willing to bet it has in part something to do with the PITA laws.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 11:56:16 am »

TTB is the same across the nation. All they care about is collecting their money and they want to make sure they understand your output so that you aren't going to fudge any #s. The reason it takes so long or can be so difficult is because, simply, they can.

Our local regulations are pretty strict. There are some laws on the books that are unbelievably stupid. For instance, if you want to open a brew pub in Alabama it has to be on a location that once produced beer legally before. Which is why there are only 3 operating brew pubs in Alabama.

We are trying to change some of these antiquated laws now through the Free The Hops organization.

I can't tell you exactly how much more difficult the local officials are going to be because we just started dealing with this stuff. We are using an architect to design the layout of the brewery to fend of changes from the Health Dept. and Building Inspector. Not cheap, but worth it in the long run.

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 01:30:18 pm »
Look at the South. Almost the entire region is woefully lacking. Willing to bet it has in part something to do with the PITA laws.

Just one more reason to avoid the south  ;)
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 02:03:38 pm »
My relatives used to tell me the same thing. My beer is great. I should open a brewery. My response was always:

1. I don't want to borrow that kind of money from anyone. Those big fermenters look expensive.

2. While the actual making of the beer would be relatively do-able, it's all the marketing & sales b.s. that I have zero desire to deal with.

Thankfully not everyone feels the way I do, otherwise we would have no amazing craft beer.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 04:53:30 pm »
Wow, FBI background check to run a 7bbl system. Do you know if that's a TTB or local requirement?

I sure hope this story has a happy ending.  :)
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 06:46:50 pm »
glitter - take a better look at that map, you're in one of the pitiful states. While TX might not be considered the South, in terms of that map it is... ;)

It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 09:31:51 pm »
glitter - take a better look at that map, you're in one of the pitiful states. While TX might not be considered the South, in terms of that map it is... ;)

I can read a map, but I don't need it to tell me how bad the local beer options are  :)

A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 09:37:12 pm »
All the more reason to open a brewery, see?  ;)

Offline sienabrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 01:01:35 pm »
My guess would be people have not taken the plunge for reasons not far off from any other person starting a business in general:  money, risk, and fear of the unknown (in that order).  I'd be willing to bet that on average a homebrewer would much rather jump at the chance to brew professional, than open their own brewpub/brewery.  The latter takes much more than just wanting to brew.  I love homebrewing and I have been exploring the possibility of opening a brewpub in my area.  However, I am aiming more to be a brewpub and business owner, than a brewer.  If I was to get serious about it I would hire a brewer with experience.  One, because I have no idea how to operate a large scale brewery (or even a 7bbl one for that matter).  And two, I think it is asking a bit of oneself to be a brewpub owner and brewer.  That's not saying I wouldn't be involved in creating the beers I want served at my place, I just think it's too much for someone to take on.  I think owning strictly a brewery and being the brewer is different however, but each poses their own set of unique difficulties. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2010, 02:34:52 pm »
Yeah, the risk is pretty big. You need to have at least several thousand dollars you don't mind pissing away. Not a big question mark there; most people are not going to risk actual capital to turn a hobby into a career. I could have invested this money into a different business with much greater chance of success and much less risk. But, damnit - I want to brew beer! :)