Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CO2 question with kegerator  (Read 2755 times)

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
CO2 question with kegerator
« on: July 23, 2014, 08:10:48 pm »
I built a kegerator out of a chest freezer that has 4 taps.  I currently have 3 beers on tap and I have been going through CO2 like crazy.  Should I be shutting off the valves when not in use?  I have, at best between me and my wife, 3 beers a night but I leave the gas on all the time.  Is it normal to go through a 10lb CO2 tank in a couple of days?
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: CO2 question with kegerator
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 08:18:58 pm »
I built a kegerator out of a chest freezer that has 4 taps.  I currently have 3 beers on tap and I have been going through CO2 like crazy.  Should I be shutting off the valves when not in use?  I have, at best between me and my wife, 3 beers a night but I leave the gas on all the time.  Is it normal to go through a 10lb CO2 tank in a couple of days?

Sounds like you need to leak test your system.  Get a squirt bottle and put star san in it and squirt all the fittings etc.  Make sure you have teflon tape on all of the threading as well and a washer in between the regulator and the tank.

Cheers,
Jeff 
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 08:20:17 pm »
You have a leak. A 10lb tank last me at least a year. Check all of your connections with a spray bottle of starsan. Lid seals are a frequent spot for leaks. Make sure you seat the lid with 30-45lbs of pressure for a few monuments to force it up.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 08:22:42 pm »

Sounds like you need to leak test your system.  Get a squirt bottle and put star san in it and squirt all the fittings etc.  Make sure you have teflon tape on all of the threading as well and a washer in between the regulator and the tank.

Cheers,
Jeff

Newer regulators have a o-ring and will not require a washer when connecting to the tank. Teflon tape is only needed for metal to metal connections. Flare fittings on ball lock disconnects should not require tape.

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 08:26:17 pm »
Thanks.  That makes me feel better that there must be a leak some where.  Stinks to have company come over only to find out you are out of CO2 and you just hooked it back up over the weekend!  Guess I need to look for leaks.
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 05:28:17 am »
I am so afraid of leaks that I always turn off the valve on the tank after every use.  I have a dozen or so kegs that all came to me used and I'm never sure if one of them is going to leak.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 08:12:23 am »
I agree you have a leak somewhere.  Good luck in your search!

I recently had a back flow preventer get stuck in one of my valves.  Not what you're seeing but it did present as out of CO2 on that one keg.  What was really funny was after I replaced the valve, I forgot to open the main valve back up.  Two weeks later all 4 kegs had the same issue.  It made SWMBO laugh pretty hard, at least.   ;)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 08:49:03 am »
it it's one of the kegs you should be able to isolate it by shutting of the gas to all the kegs for a day or two and seeing which one has lost all pressure.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline braz24

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 10:52:03 am »
I'm guessing these are corny kegs?  If so, are they used?  You should definitely replace all the o-rings on each of your kegs and use Keg Lube to get a nice, tight seal.  I also replace the pressure relief valve on the keg because my first keg leaked from this valve.
Craig