Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Scores  (Read 5798 times)

Offline Wesbrau

• Cellarman
Re: NHC Scores
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 01:34:58 pm »
42.7 in the final round for the third place stout.  Was obviously up against some really solid competition. 
Wes

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2014, 02:27:44 pm »
42.7 in the final round for the third place stout.  Was obviously up against some really solid competition.

44 for the Silver....

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2014, 05:10:13 pm »
Congrats to both of you!  That stout category is absolutely huge.  They must have been amazing beers...

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 06:28:12 am »
one of those situations where my entry got a 41.5 in first round and a 26 in the second. curious as to the comments.

Same here..... Had a 40+ regional Dortmunder that got crushed with a 26.  However, in fairness, I pretty much saw it coming.  I rebrewed and it just did not come out like the first one did.  Thought it would do better than 26, but, it was certainly no medal winner for sure.  My mild did ok, but I am guessing comments are going to say it was a bit "big" for style.   Scottish 70 made Mini BOS, So I was pretty happy with that.  Looking forward to seeing some of the thoughts on the sheets as well.

Got you both beat.  A 42 in the first round for a BoPils (judged by a Master whom I know and respect) to a 23.5 in the finals .... Ouch!  Tasted it last night - not as fresh, but 23.5?

Win some, lose some. 

As I always say - Right Beer, Right Judge, Right Time

I've got all of you beat; a 45 in the first round and a 24 in the second.  Can't wait to see those score sheets, I'm assuming it must have been a bottle issue.  Since it tasted great at club night and was are only keg that kicked.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 06:43:45 am »
one of those situations where my entry got a 41.5 in first round and a 26 in the second. curious as to the comments.

Same here..... Had a 40+ regional Dortmunder that got crushed with a 26.  However, in fairness, I pretty much saw it coming.  I rebrewed and it just did not come out like the first one did.  Thought it would do better than 26, but, it was certainly no medal winner for sure.  My mild did ok, but I am guessing comments are going to say it was a bit "big" for style.   Scottish 70 made Mini BOS, So I was pretty happy with that.  Looking forward to seeing some of the thoughts on the sheets as well.

Got you both beat.  A 42 in the first round for a BoPils (judged by a Master whom I know and respect) to a 23.5 in the finals .... Ouch!  Tasted it last night - not as fresh, but 23.5?

Win some, lose some. 

I've got all of you beat; a 45 in the first round and a 24 in the second.  Can't wait to see those score sheets, I'm assuming it must have been a bottle issue.  Since it tasted great at club night and was are only keg that kicked.
We were def encouraged to grab a 2nd bottle if we came across something off.. Even in the sours category me and my judging partner pulled a 2nd bottle as did another pair... Sadly both of the 2nd bottles in those cases were equally flawed.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 11:12:13 am »

Win some, lose some. 

We were def encouraged to grab a 2nd bottle if we came across something off.. Even in the sours category me and my judging partner pulled a 2nd bottle as did another pair... Sadly both of the 2nd bottles in those cases were equally flawed.

We did the same in English Pale Ales; we only had to ask for a 2nd bottle once.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 11:52:30 am »

Win some, lose some. 

Man, even in losing, you win!  Congrats!

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 12:03:15 pm »
 ;D

Win some, lose some. 

Man, even in losing, you win!  Congrats!
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA

Offline amsteele81

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 11:02:15 am »

Win some, lose some. 

Similar situation for me - my BoPils, which got a 45.5 from a national judge, dropped to a 35.5 in the second round. It was a re-brew, so I know it was fresh - especially compared to my first round batch, which had REALLY fallen off. I'm curious to see what the difference was.

Offline jstein3

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 02:14:34 pm »
amstele81 said it best - Right Beer, Right Judge, Right Time.

1st round I had 1st place score of  44 for a cider that managed a 30.33 in the final round.  However I had a brown porter go up 4 points from round 1 to round 2, which I thought going in was the weaker of my entries.  It got me my first ever final round medal, yet found myself scratching my head on the cider's 14 point drop.  Goes to show you never can tell.

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 04:53:41 pm »
Now that it has been over a month, it sure would be nice to see some scores........

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 05:50:28 pm »
Yeah - I was kind of wondering when the sheets would be showing up too.  Anyone know when they will be sent?

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 08:15:49 pm »
well, it's a small organization, and Janis still isn't well. 
I could go out there and help, but I don't think they want to give me free reign of the AHA Prize Closet. 8)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2014, 06:06:50 am »
just got a UPS notice that something from BA is arriving tomorrow.  7 lbs; BeerGun maybe?   8)

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 07:44:15 am »
I've had my scores posted to the site for quite some time now... Still waiting on scoresheets.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"