Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Frickin cleaning time  (Read 7197 times)

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Re: Frickin cleaning time
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 07:25:10 am »
5 gallon buckets + a long window box liner for the long items like racking canes and dip tubes.

I use a wallpaper tray to clean and soak my tubes.

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2014, 07:29:27 am »
Best move I ever made was to install a Pex line to my garage - I hook it up manually to a slop sink in the basement and run either hot (for cleaning) or cold (for chilling) through the line.  A hose bib is the terminal end in the garage.  Makes cleaning a keggle and mash tun a snap!

I'm having a sink with a hot/cold valve installed in my garage this Sunday. It's next to crazy to brew without a water source nearby. Luckily, my mom had been saving a 2'x5' SS wash basin and mixing valve for me (from when she used to process her own photographs, aka "the darkroom chemistry sink"). The valve has a tolerance of 1*F, totally unnecessary, but neat. I can't wait for it to be done so I can brew without pulling my hair out!

Any concern about your garage sink water lines freezing? Is your garage heated or well-insulated? My garage is neither and tends to stay maybe 10 -15 degrees warmer than outside temps, but at this time of year, outside is often in the teens or less.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2014, 07:42:07 am »
I've got a pretty big kitchen sink, but I don't think I could fit a carboy in it....
i have to use the sprayer hose to rinse, but the carboy will lay in there on its side.

Funny, I have a floor drain in the basement, but it never occurred to me until reading this that I could use it for cleaning up after brewing. Of course, since I brew in the kitchen it doesn't make much sense. But now I suppose I have to think about starting a basement setup....

Sent via mobile

I suppose it would fit in on the side as it's not that much bigger than the kettle.  I brew in the kitchen, too.  Carboys (Better Bottles) stay in the basement.  I carry the hot wort down the stairs.  Only had one idiot moment where I ran the kettle into the side of the dryer and spilled a bunch.  Never an issue on the stairs, though now I've probably cursed myself.

Best move I ever made was to install a Pex line to my garage - I hook it up manually to a slop sink in the basement and run either hot (for cleaning) or cold (for chilling) through the line.  A hose bib is the terminal end in the garage.  Makes cleaning a keggle and mash tun a snap!

My garage is a good 30 feet from the rear of the house.  I dream of renting a Ditch Witch and cutting a trench to bring out extra electric, water, etc.  I even have the routing planned.  It will never happen.  But it's nice to think about.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Stevie

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2014, 07:48:04 am »

I use a wallpaper tray to clean and soak my tubes.

That's what I was looking for when I got the window box liner. Getting hard to come by. I guess wallpaper isn't very fashionable. :)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 08:10:07 am »

I'm having a sink with a hot/cold valve installed in my garage this Sunday. It's next to crazy to brew without a water source nearby. Luckily, my mom had been saving a 2'x5' SS wash basin and mixing valve for me (from when she used to process her own photographs, aka "the darkroom chemistry sink"). The valve has a tolerance of 1*F, totally unnecessary, but neat. I can't wait for it to be done so I can brew without pulling my hair out!

Any concern about your garage sink water lines freezing? Is your garage heated or well-insulated? My garage is neither and tends to stay maybe 10 -15 degrees warmer than outside temps, but at this time of year, outside is often in the teens or less.

Very well insulated. When the "polar vortex" came through town, it was low 40s in the garage. Figured that was an extreme test.  8)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 09:27:55 am »
I'm having a sink with a hot/cold valve installed in my garage this Sunday. It's next to crazy to brew without a water source nearby.

I used to have to drag a 100 foot hose around the house for chilling and cleanup, dragging it inside to thaw was not fun as well as rinsing with cold water when its freezing outside. 

When we were looking at houses to move to I made sure it would be easy to have hot and cold water in the garage.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2014, 09:43:45 am »
I'm having a sink with a hot/cold valve installed in my garage this Sunday. It's next to crazy to brew without a water source nearby.

I used to have to drag a 100 foot hose around the house for chilling and cleanup, dragging it inside to thaw was not fun as well as rinsing with cold water when its freezing outside. 

I did this one time. Just one. I will never do it again. Freezing, thawing, freezing, cursing, etc. Never again.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2014, 08:24:21 am »

When we were looking at houses to move to I made sure it would be easy to have hot and cold water in the garage.

I am fortunate enough to have my hot water heater in the garage.  I tap off the tank "flush out" bib.  I have a cold water source in the form of a spigot right outside the garage side door.  Just need a sink.

Offline dave.kline

• 1st Kit
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2014, 07:35:01 am »
I would love to have a utility sink. I'd have to settle for the basement since our garage gets too cold for plumbing in the winter. Cleaning a 10 gallon kettle, buckets, etc isn't easy with a kitchen sink. After brewing I put about 5 -  6 gallons of water in my kettle by filling a gallon pitcher over and over, mix PBW, and throw everything in to soak. Once done, I drain through the ball valve. Then I rinse with a garden hose adapter hooked up to the faucet with high temp tubing attached. This takes a lot longer than if I had a big sink available I'm sure, but it works. It's easy to make a mess though, which never goes over well with the wife. It seems like cleanup time matches the time she wants to use the kitchen.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2014, 07:59:37 am »
Most of the time the only cleaning issue my SO has is the line up of parts and kettles And hoses and tubing around the kitchen to dry. In the long run, she likes my beer so she tolerates it, but I know it frustrates her.

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline dave.kline

• 1st Kit
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2014, 12:25:41 pm »
My biggest problem is that my wife doesn't like beer. Not sure what's wrong with her. She obviously has good taste in men! ;-)

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk