Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chicago  (Read 4657 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Chicago
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 10:02:08 pm »
Many thanks to Katie Werbil and Dawn for watching the kids while we took the birthday girl out on the town!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 09:15:52 am »
My son insists on going to Chicago for his 4th birthday, so I can't let him down :) I haven't been in a while, and it's a favorite city of my wife and I, so it didn't take much convincing on his part.

We're going to be in town for 3 days in the middle of June. I'm trying to find something family friendly that has a decent beer selection. We're staying in the middle of the Magnificent Mile, so I'm thinking that area or something near the other touristy stuff we'll be doing (Navy Pier, Shedd/Adler/Field museums, Millennium Park, etc.). My wife and son aren't the most adventurous eaters, so things like bar & grill/steakhouse/pizza/italian are good bets for me. In particular, I'd like to get my hands on some stuff that I can't get at home (Deschutes, Bell's, Jolly Pumpkin, 3 Floyds).

Any suggestions? Does the craft beer selection tend to be decent downtown? I'm pretty sure we'll end up at Uno/Due and the Weber Grill restaurant at some point. Need to get an italian beef while I'm in the area, too.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 03:46:29 pm »
Your best recommendations for downtown are earlier in this thread. Not much that's kid friendly that I can think I with a good selection.

Jake Melinicks will work. Or Rock bottom.

For bottle shops there is a Binny's on grand. It is a chain but good selection.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline mharding73

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 04:10:03 pm »
Revolution brewery would have been a good choice.  They make some really nice beers. 

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 05:44:14 pm »
You can search by zip code and view beer menus at beermenus.com. 

http://www.beermenus.com/places

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 07:02:34 pm »
That's an awesome tip kinetic, gonna have to use that everywhere!

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 08:01:44 am »
Bell's is all over and I see Deschutes some places as well. Three Floyds can be hard to find on tap, but Eataly usually has Zombie Dust. It sounds like the food there isn't up your alley, but you can buy a beer and walk around the market while you drink. There's also Howells & Hood in the Tribune Tower that has a pretty good selection. I don't know how kid friendly they are, though.

I don't recall seeing Jolly Pumpkin on tap in the city, but Binny's has bottles. Check their web site for stock, as it can vary by store
http://www.binnys.com

There are new local breweries popping up all the time, too. Half Acre and Revolution are doing some good stuff.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2014, 10:34:39 pm »
Unfortunately, I didn't get to convince the wife to try anything out of the ordinary during our trip, but I must say that the Weber Grill has quite a nice beer list (although my waiter was clueless about their beers). I also got to try Fat Tire for the first time while getting my deep-dish fix at Due. At least I got to check a few beers off my list while I was out there. My son had a blast, so hopefully we can get back out there soon.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer