Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Black IPA (or whatever you want to call it)  (Read 2923 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Black IPA (or whatever you want to call it)
« on: June 23, 2014, 11:13:06 am »
This is what I brewed yesterday. It is a very slight variation on the Northern Brewer recipe, which I've brewed before and is excellent.

11.5 lbs. 2-row
8 oz. English dark crystal (80L)
6 oz. English chocolate malt
6 oz. Carafa III
1 lb. cane sugar

1 oz. Summit - 60 min.
1 oz. Chinook - 15 min.
1 oz. Centennial - 15 min.
1 oz. Centennial - hop stand at 180 for 20 min.
1 oz. Cascade - hop stand at 180 for 20 min.
1 oz. Centennial - dry hop
1 oz. Cascade - dry hop

Wyeast 1272 (appropriately sized starter)

Mash at 152
OG: 1.066

I oxygenated for 75 seconds and pitched the yeast at 64 degrees.  The plan is to ferment at 66. 

What do you think?

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Black IPA (or whatever you want to call it)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 02:11:30 pm »
I like it. Send me a bottle.
Jesse

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 04:45:00 pm »
Did you use Carafa III special (dehusked) or regular Carafa III ?  If you used special Carafa, then I'll accept your recipe as a black IPA.  If you used regular Carafa, then you made an American Imperial Stout that will taste similar to Great Divide Yeti Stout.  Either way, it should be a tasty beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 04:56:04 pm »
+1 to the dehusked stuff for Black IPA. I think the recipe looks good, though I'd probably use double the dry hops. Enjoy !
Jon H.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 10:06:13 am »
I used the regular Carafa III.  I like a little roast in these beers.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 01:00:59 pm »
I still think it will taste very good.  You didn't overdo the roast.  If you want to call it a Black IPA, the beer style police should give you a free pass this time.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 01:06:19 pm »
Actually I like a touch of roast in Black IPA too. I normally use the dehusked Carafa and 2 or 3 oz of chocolate malt to get there.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 02:18:41 pm »
Actually I like a touch of roast in Black IPA too. I normally use the dehusked Carafa and 2 or 3 oz of chocolate malt to get there.

Yep. Otherwise it's just black for the sake of being black. I can do that with food coloring.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 03:19:22 pm »

Yep. Otherwise it's just black for the sake of being black. I can do that with food coloring.

Yup. When Black IPAs first started showing up, I hated the idea - felt that it was just dyed black AIPA. But I tried a few of the good examples -  Loose Cannon, Stone SSR, a great local one, and others, and realized that there was a place for a very hoppy, black beer with a touch of roast. But I agree that if there's no roast, then it's just dyed black.
Jon H.

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 03:38:53 pm »
Do you consider Wookey Jack a roasty beer or a black colored IPA? 

Pale Malt, Malted Rye, Dash of Cara-Rye, Midnight Wheat from Briess, De-Bittered Black Malt (Weyermann). 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 03:47:35 pm »

Pale Malt, Malted Rye, Dash of Cara-Rye, Midnight Wheat from Briess, De-Bittered Black Malt (Weyermann). 

Haven't tried it, though I've loved the other FW beers I've tried. But if I did I would focus more on how it tasted first. I'm not saying there has to be 'x' oz of roasted malt for everybody, but instead "does it taste like a dyed IPA or not"?
Jon H.

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 04:20:40 pm »
It's not what I would consider to be roasty and doesn't taste like an IPA dyed black with flavorless sinimar.  The dark malts it uses contribute flavor.  Roasty to me is more coffee like.  Sharper.  More astringent.  There is no universally accepted definition of Black IPA as far as I know, but minimal roast, smooth dark malt flavor and C-hoppy is what distinguishes it from a stout or a porter, in my opinion.  Wookey Jack defines the style for me.

They say big and roasty, but that is more marketing than reality.  Roasty sells beer!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 04:38:31 pm »
It's not what I would consider to be roasty and doesn't taste like an IPA dyed black with flavorless sinimar.  The dark malts it uses contribute flavor.  Roasty to me is more coffee like.  Sharper.  More astringent.  There is no universally accepted definition of Black IPA as far as I know, but minimal roast, smooth dark malt flavor and C-hoppy is what distinguishes it from a stout or a porter, in my opinion.  Wookey Jack defines the style for me.

They say big and roasty, but that is more marketing than reality.  Roasty sells beer!

Yeah,I hear it's really good and for some reason I haven't tried it yet. The 'dyed black with flavorless sinamar' describes the approach I try to avoid. And you're right - it's a new enough style as to be vague. I like the ones best that split the difference between 'flavorless sinamar' and at the same time easily less roasty than brown porter.
Jon H.

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 04:42:31 pm »
They are releasing it in 4 packs next month.  Previously in bombers and draft only.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 03:36:13 am »

Some toasty roast, not to much, nice rye flavor, good hop flavor and aroma. I call it tasty! Shared a bomber at the club meeting last Friday.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!