Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation temp question  (Read 2566 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Fermentation temp question
« on: June 23, 2014, 02:50:17 pm »
Got an APA doing quite nicely in a fridge set at 66*, but the temp strip on the carboy is like 72. I understand fermenting wort will raise things a few degrees, but my question is do i keep the temp of the wort at the suggested 68* or air in the fridge at 68?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Fermentation temp question
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 02:52:18 pm »
When I talk about fermentation temp I am referring to the temp of the beer itself. Ambient air varies too much to be a reliable measure of the temp.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 03:00:27 pm »
Yup,  I leave me controller set to ~ 60 for the first several days if I want a ferment to run at 64-66
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 03:49:01 pm »
I tape my probe to the side of the vessel and insulate it from ambient in my freezer so the controller kicks things on or off depending on the temp of the probe. This allows me to keep the beer +/- 1oF from my set point.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 05:16:03 pm »
I tape my probe to the side of the vessel and insulate it from ambient in my freezer so the controller kicks things on or off depending on the temp of the probe. This allows me to keep the beer +/- 1oF from my set point.

+1. Me too. I tape the probe to the fermenter and then tape bubble wrap over the probe.
Jon H.

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 05:27:30 pm »
Now is a good time to insert the most accurate thermometer you have in the center of your beer. 

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 05:35:09 pm »
For a long time I thought controlling ambient was good enough. It depends on what good enough means to you. I now attach under insulating foam and measure/control true temp. It has become my NEW good enough.

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 06:31:29 am »
What +/- range do you use on your controller(assuming you can adjust)? I have a range of 7° Right now. When you put foam insulation over the probe does that change the variation of when the controller kicks on or off?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 06:41:32 am »
1°, but I measure the beer using a thermowell. When measuring from the side I do around 2°

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 07:00:08 am »

What +/- range do you use on your controller(assuming you can adjust)? I have a range of 7° Right now. When you put foam insulation over the probe does that change the variation of when the controller kicks on or off?
i set my +/- to 1oF and with the insulation over the probe that's where it stays.

My freezer is in a pretty cool room with a 68oF ambient so the unit really doesn't run frequently unless I'm cold crashing a beer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 07:47:36 am »

i set my +/- to 1oF and with the insulation over the probe that's where it stays.

+1
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 08:16:33 am »
I run mine with +/- 1 but set the ASD to 6-8 minutes depending on how cold the fermentation is (shorter time for cooler fermentation). It's rare I get more than a couple degrees away from the desired temperature without constantly turning the compressor on and off.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 10:17:14 am »

+1. Me too. I tape the probe to the fermenter and then tape bubble wrap over the probe.
+2. I have a glycol bottle temp probe that I tape to the fermenter and then tape a hand towel over that. I keep the ambient temps at around 5 degrees lower than my fermentation target. Have had good luck with this. :)
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 08:28:17 am »

+2. I have a glycol bottle temp probe that I tape to the fermenter and then tape a hand towel over that. I keep the ambient temps at around 5 degrees lower than my fermentation target. Have had good luck with this. :)

Hmmm, 5 degrees? In my case, I use an insulated cooler filled with ice/water with my glass carboy. I assume w glass, the temps are much closer inside compared to the surrounding water.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 05:02:20 pm »

Hmmm, 5 degrees? In my case, I use an insulated cooler filled with ice/water with my glass carboy. I assume w glass, the temps are much closer inside compared to the surrounding water.
I would think that if your basically using an insulated swamp cooler set up and do a good job maintaining the water temp the actually fermentation temp is staying pretty true. I know that when I used a swamp cooler and rotated ice bottles I was able to keep things within a couple degrees.