Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: belgian ale?  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
belgian ale?
« on: June 24, 2014, 09:02:46 am »
So I wanted to do a saison but will be using T58. I honestly am not sure what belgian styles this yeast works best for although it worked great for a wit that I did recently. I have seen certain yeast sub charts that show it as the equivalent to WY3724 which doesn't seem correct.

I am not sure what this would be considered but I am thinking it would be close to a Blond? My saison would be a bit different and have some munich and wheat instead of the other specialty malts...

10.5# Pils
.75# table sugar
.25# aromatic
.25# caravienne

magnum 60 min
EKG 20 min
EKG 5 min

T58 yeast - let free rise into the upper 70s?

OG 1.058
FG 1.008
ABV 6.5
IBU 29

The problem is that my OG is a bit below the guidelines for a blond but I wanted to have a bit lower ABV since this yeast is very attenuative for me. I would do a belgian pale but I want something very light in color. Should I just ignore the specific guidelines and go for a 'belgian specialty'?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 09:32:24 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: belgian ale?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:34:38 am »
do you think anyone will be able to tell the OG was too low? are you planning on entering in contests? unless both answers are yes then call it a blonde.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 09:42:51 am »
No to both. I will probably drop the OG a few more points then...

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 01:04:27 pm »
T-58 gets kinda funky above 70.  Not bad funky.  Good Belgian funky.  It's spicier in the low to mid 60s. 

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 02:02:04 pm »
Thanks. Good to know. That is kind what I was hoping for since I am going for something 'saisonish'. I will probably keep it in the mid 70s. Just so I know, how high can I take it? 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 02:22:53 pm »
Thanks. Good to know. That is kind what I was hoping for since I am going for something 'saisonish'. I will probably keep it in the mid 70s. Just so I know, how high can I take it?

if you are after saisonish, and what Kinetic says is true I'd keep it in the mid 60's. saison can have a little funk but the yeast character should really be about the spice
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 02:23:29 pm »
The highest I ever took it was 74ish internal (measured on the 3rd day).  I pitched around 62 and let it rise with no temperature control.  The ambient temperature was 67-69.  The beer had the peppery/spicy notes from the colder initial fermentation and the funkier notes from the free rise similar to DuPont funk, but not the same.  Fusels were not a problem. 

Don't be surprised if you get minimal airlock activity.  I've only used it three times.  It was never a vigorous fermenter airlock wise, but it attenuated well.  This yeast made a rehydration believer out of me after the first non-rehydrated use.         

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 02:29:24 pm »
According to my notes, I ran T58 at 66F for my most recent wit. The character from the yeast seems great however I have a lot of untraditional things in that beer affecting my perception. I got 85% attenuation from mashing at 150F.

I will plan to start cool and let it free rise similarly to your process. I plan to mash at 148 and with the table sugar hopefully get close to 90% attenation.

thanks for all of the help.