Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPA thoughts  (Read 2113 times)

Offline TwistedTerrain

• 1st Kit
IPA thoughts
« on: June 20, 2014, 08:15:41 am »
I have a simple recipe that I want to try in the coming brew session.

9# 2-Row
1# Crystal 30
.5# Victory
1 tab Whirfloc tab @ 10 min
Nugget @ 69 min
Centennial @ 5 min
Cascade @ 5 min
Glacier @ 0 min
Centennial @ 0 min whirlpool (200* down to 175*)
Chinook @ 0 min whirlpool (200* down to 175*)
Cascade @ 0 min whirlpool (200* down to 175*)

SA-05 @ 68* F for 7 days

Keg and enjoy.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: IPA thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 08:20:57 am »
I would say with that amount of grain this looks more like an American Pale Ale. I would up the amount of 2 row and even decrease the crystal a bit.
Dan Chisholm

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 08:21:54 am »
Yep, more base grain. I'm 50/50 on the crystal.

Where are your dry hops?

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 10:28:57 am »
I'm curious about the 'more grain to make it an IPA' comments.  I thought the primary differentiating characteristic separating a Pale Ale from an IPA was IBUs.  I understand if the issue is BU:GU balance, but balance is a quality characteristic, not a category characteristic, is it?

Not trying to throw bombs here.  Maybe this is in the category of 'can there be such a thing as a Session IPA?'.

But additionally the OP didn't state the batch size, but assuming it is a typical 5 gallons, it only has to get to 1.056 OG to be in the BJCP IPA range.  Seems to me that 10.5 lbs of malt would be pretty close.

I guess to sum it up, I'd ask how much is in your bittering charge, rather than addressing the amount of malt.  What am I missing?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 10:36:02 am »
Good point, I was assuming 5 gallons.

Yes IPA typically means more IBU's, also more alcohol. The upper range of pale and lower range of IPA barely overlap. Typically I aim for 1.065 for an IPA and > 1.050 for a pale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 11:25:48 am »
Pretty important to post hop amounts along with varieties, to assess your IBU levels. FWIW, I like a BU:GU of 1 -1.2 for IPA (usually 1.2), with an OG of 1.062 - 1.067-ish. I'd try to ferment closer to 63F if possible, to account for the heat produced by fermentation. And are the flameout hops going in @ 200F and pulled @ 175F ? Since I can't see hop amounts I can't tell what you're after, but unless you're mostly after bitterness from the FO hops, I'd add them at 175 or 180F and steep them for 45 minutes, and then finish chilling. This will prevent volatile hop oils (ie., nice flavor and aroma) from being driven off by the high heat. Not trying to be overly critical, just looking to help. So give us some more info on your hop amounts. Cheers !
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 07:50:41 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 11:47:57 am »
I'm curious about the 'more grain to make it an IPA' comments.  I thought the primary differentiating characteristic separating a Pale Ale from an IPA was IBUs.  I understand if the issue is BU:GU balance, but balance is a quality characteristic, not a category characteristic, is it?

Not trying to throw bombs here.  Maybe this is in the category of 'can there be such a thing as a Session IPA?'.

But additionally the OP didn't state the batch size, but assuming it is a typical 5 gallons, it only has to get to 1.056 OG to be in the BJCP IPA range.  Seems to me that 10.5 lbs of malt would be pretty close.

I guess to sum it up, I'd ask how much is in your bittering charge, rather than addressing the amount of malt.  What am I missing?
yeah, I see your point. Since the OP didn't mention hop amounts I thought that grain amount seemed low for 5 gal of IPA. Most commercial and homebrew IPA's that I can think of are 6.5-7.5% ABV and it would be hard to hit that with 10.5 lbs of grain. I always make my IPA batches shooting for around 6 gal because of hop absorbtion.
Dan Chisholm

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 08:48:09 pm »
I personally hate to see a pale ale over 1.060 and think it's dumb to call a beer under 1.060 an IPA - session or otherwise.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 09:12:39 pm »
I personally hate to see a pale ale over 1.060 and think it's dumb to call a beer under 1.060 an IPA - session or otherwise.
agreed...I thought it was strange when Lagunitas came out with their new Pale Ale and it was stronger than their IPA.
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 09:36:12 pm »
agreed...I thought it was strange when Lagunitas came out with their new Pale Ale and it was stronger than their IPA.

Yeah, pretty bass ackwards IMO. Whatever.
Jon H.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 11:21:46 pm »
There's a lot of overlap in the two styles, but I generally consider less caramel, higher OG, and higher bitterness (1:1 or even higher BU:GU) to be more representative of IPA and lower gravity, lower bitterness (.66:1 BU:GU) and a bit more caramel & ester presence to be more representative of APA.  This is just in general as there are always exceptions that still fit.

The thing I don't really like so much is the recent emergence of those cloying, over-caramelly, over-hopped "India Amber Ales" (my name for them, I've never actually seen one named like that, but that's what they all taste like).  Blech.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 08:44:48 am »
The thing I don't really like so much is the recent emergence of those cloying, over-caramelly, over-hopped "India Amber Ales" (my name for them, I've never actually seen one named like that, but that's what they all taste like).  Blech.

AKA the new BJCP amber IPA category.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing