Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Recipe Thoughts  (Read 3299 times)

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
Re: Recipe Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 09:09:41 am »
If someone posted the same recipe looking for advice at any beer forum, the 45 min and 30 min hop additions would be panned and the hop schedule would be rearranged to 60/15/5/0 using more hops.  Someone would also question the need for Caramel malt and someone would question using pale malt to compliment the 2row. 

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 09:40:50 pm »
Confused. Are you saying that there is no right way?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 09:49:17 pm »
I think he is just commenting that the recipe doesn't conform to standard ideals of IPA formulation. I'm not sure I agree. but your takeaway is just as good. there is no right way to achieve the beer YOU want to make. but if you want to make a clone of a particular beer there are ways that are more right than others.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 03:48:50 am »
If someone posted the same recipe looking for advice at any beer forum, the 45 min and 30 min hop additions would be panned and the hop schedule would be rearranged to 60/15/5/0 using more hops.  Someone would also question the need for Caramel malt and someone would question using pale malt to compliment the 2row.
The wisdom of the internet!

I know David and Ryan from Bells - they were at NHC - and both are good Homebrewers. The recipe has always looked good to me. Bells uses Briess as their primary maltster, so no surprise on the grain bill. Hops look good. One thing on dry hopping is to do it on the cool side, as I hear that is what they do. They also use special fermenters with very shallow cones, which I speculate give good contact area for the pellet hops that fall out, Bells uses pellets.

Edit, and you can follow John Mallets advice from the article on growing up a pitch of the house yeast from a bottle.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 03:53:06 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 06:55:22 am »

No.  There are many right ways to make a beer that is similar to Two Hearted. 

My point is the recipe provided by Bells is their recipe.  It's hard to get better than that if you want a clone, but since the hop schedule and malt bill is unusual compared to what many homebrewers use, you would likely get advice to change the hop schedule and malt bill, especially if you didn't say the recipe was a Two Hearted clone.

If you posted the recipe elsewhere and said hey guys I'm getting ready to brew my first IPA, what do you think of this recipe?  The aforementioned suggestions would be made.  Not here, though.  ;) 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 11:32:57 am »

No.  There are many right ways to make a beer that is similar to Two Hearted. 

My point is the recipe provided by Bells is their recipe.  It's hard to get better than that if you want a clone, but since the hop schedule and malt bill is unusual compared to what many homebrewers use, you would likely get advice to change the hop schedule and malt bill, especially if you didn't say the recipe was a Two Hearted clone.

If you posted the recipe elsewhere and said hey guys I'm getting ready to brew my first IPA, what do you think of this recipe?  The aforementioned suggestions would be made.  Not here, though.  ;)

Now that I've been able to have a few Two-Hearted's I feel like I can comment on this. Two Hearted is a really good IPA, and I certainly am not suggesting that Bell's should change their recipe. But if someone asks me my recommendations on their IPA recipe that I've never tried, I'm still going to offer the suggestion to move all their flavor and aroma hops to flameout, double (or more) the amounts, and hop stand for an hour or so. Then double your dry hops while you're at it.

I like Two-Hearted a lot. I just like my IPAs more  ;D
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 11:42:28 am »

I like Two-Hearted a lot. I just like my IPAs more  ;D

+1. Definitely not saying mine is better, just that I've figured out how to make mine just the way I want it. And I'm guaranteed of getting it fresh.
Jon H.