Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thoughts on a hoppy, blonde, farmhouse-ish session brew?  (Read 3598 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Thoughts on a hoppy, blonde, farmhouse-ish session brew?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 03:26:19 pm »

No fusels with saison yeast. I typically ferment saisons around 85-90.

+1. Saison yeasts are different animals altogether.
Jon H.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 10:45:43 am »
Current temps are 80f in the basement and 90f upstairs so I suppose the move is to either chill it then let it warm up to 80f in the cellar or just empty out the kegerator and ferment it in there in the 70s.

You have a kegorator but no A/C? I hafta commend you for keeping your priorities straight!

I think you can get by without utilizing your kegorator, especially since you don't want your other kegs sitting around at 80F-90F.

I know there are differing opinions, but I wouldn't start fermentation above 70F. Saison yeast does and will give off hot alcohol/phenols if you start at high temps (plenty of examples in any homebrew comp or festival).

Chill to 65-66F, aerate like crazy and pitch your healthy starter. Make an effort to hold that temp for the first 24 hours, then let 'er rip. As fermentation subsides (airlock activity slows), bring it upstairs and wrap the fermentor in a blanket to hold the heat in so the yeast can finish out.

The 'control' for the initial fermentation doesn't have to be elaborate. Run a Google search for swamp cooler, wet t-shirt/towel with fan, etc. You can also use the kegorator for the first 24 hours of fermentation, wrapping the kegs in a blanket while they're not in the fridge.

As far as Lacto:

Lacto will work slowly (if at all) if pitched after fermentation. If you pitch lacto before sacch., you'll get acidity in days rather than months.

Let me know when you're planning on making this one and help you navigate the process.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 10:59:47 am »
I think you're going to get some nasty headaches fermenting in the 80s.  Get it down to 70s if at all possible.  When I make saison, I start fermentation about 68 F and then raise to around 74 F maximum.  Not exactly sure what will happen in the 80s, but I'm fairly certain you will get a lot of fusels, even with a saison yeast.

No fusels with saison yeast. I typically ferment saisons around 85-90.

My blinding headaches after tasting a lot of saisons begs to differ. they are certainly more forgiving of high ferm temps but they will throw fusels if started too warm still. if there is anyway to get your pitch temp down to the low 60s or failing that the high 60s it will be better. and remember, it is that 1 strain that wyeast recommends pitching and keeping above 90. not all saison yeasts.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 11:15:39 am »
I got fusels off my last batch with 3711. Not bad, but noticeable. I think I let it get up to 80°, but started at 68°

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 11:17:52 am »
remember, it is that 1 strain that wyeast recommends pitching and keeping above 90. not all saison yeasts.

+1. Agreed. FWIW, 3724 is the only strain I've ever pitched/maintained that warm (or would for that matter).  I pitch other saison strains in the mid 60s, then slowly ramp up to high temps. But I've had plenty of fusel-ly beers and haven't picked any up from the 3724.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 01:18:42 pm »
When do you start to raise the temperature and over how long? I plan to do something similar but don't want to raise the temperature to fast.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 01:29:28 pm »
When do you start to raise the temperature and over how long? I plan to do something similar but don't want to raise the temperature to fast.

Often times, I'll pitch @ 64 or 65F, hold that temp for a day or two, and raise temps a couple degrees F per day up to 80F and hold there until I reach FG. Except for 3724 where I follow the WY guidelines.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 05:33:28 pm »
I got fusels off my last batch with 3711. Not bad, but noticeable. I think I let it get up to 80°, but started at 68°
Honestly, I ferment 3711 a lot like a typical ale strain and love the results. I pitch at ambient in my basement (60-62), let it go on its own for 10 days or so, then strap on my brew belt to hit mid 70's. I give it at least a week longer than usual for a typical ale because I find it eats the last 2-3 points kind of slowly.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 08:59:32 am »
I get some headache fusels with 3711 above 75F when pitched near 70.  I think it works  great with cooler temps, so that is how I use it now.  The rest of them seem to do fine with warmer temps.  Blaugies (3726) ferments their spelt saison up to 80F.