Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hand Cranked or Powered?  (Read 6216 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Hand Cranked or Powered?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 08:37:20 am »
I hand crank most of my batches but when I brew larger batches I hook up the drill. Most of my batches are small (1-2 gallons) so I can hand mill about as fast as I can hook up the drill and mill with power.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 08:37:57 am »
I hand cranked more than a ton of grain through my first Schmidling Malt Mill before leaving the hobby for an extended period.   I went back to hand cranking malt through a new Schmidling Malt Mill when I re-entered the hobby last summer.  I am an AARP card-carrying fifty-something "get off of my grass" curmudgeon. ;D

I'm an AARP card carrier who's enough older than you that I hardly recall being 50 something.  I use a drill fro my JSP and wouldn't consider and cranking.  AND I'm also a coot and geezer, besides a curmudgeon!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 08:55:49 am »
I have an MM3 that I use a power drill on. I used to use a cheap corded drill but it was to variable and the keyed chuck was a PITA. Now I use my 18v LiIon Makita on the slow setting. 400rpm is still a little fast but its more consistent, and less cables / keyless chuck etc is nice.

Never even contemplated hand milling.  :o

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 10:09:06 pm »
I just finished assembling, aligning, and setting the gap on the MM3 that I ordered last week.  It has a 1/2" drive shaft; therefore,  I will not be hand cranking this mill.

I have word of advice for anyone who is contemplating purchasing a Monster Mill hopper.  Follow the directions, so that you can avoid having to assemble the hopper twice.  Resist the urge to attach the hopper side plates to the hopper end plates before attaching mounting brackets to the the side plates.   

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 10:49:46 pm »
I just finished assembling, aligning, and setting the gap on the MM3 that I ordered last week.  It has a 1/2" drive shaft; therefore,  I will not be hand cranking this mill.

I have word of advice for anyone who is contemplating purchasing a Monster Mill hopper.  Follow the directions, so that you can avoid having to assemble the hopper twice.  Resist the urge to attach the hopper side plates to the hopper end plates before attaching mounting brackets to the the side plates.

Lol I did that too. But who's going to read the instructions when you can just jump right in!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 04:28:05 am »

When assembling, I figured that out and set the gap before attaching the side plates. All of those years working as an engineer pay off sometimes.

I hand cranked more than a ton of grain through my first Schmidling Malt Mill before leaving the hobby for an extended period.   I went back to hand cranking malt through a new Schmidling Malt Mill when I re-entered the hobby last summer.  I am an AARP card-carrying fifty-something "get off of my grass" curmudgeon. ;D

I'm an AARP card carrier who's enough older than you that I hardly recall being 50 something.  I use a drill fro my JSP and wouldn't consider and cranking.  AND I'm also a coot and geezer, besides a curmudgeon!  ;)

+1

Of course I am right behind you in age.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 08:17:10 am »
I chose the Cereal Killer because it was reasonable priced. It also comes with a free dust cover.

I use a Ryobi D260H Hammer Drill to power it. $50 at local chain home improvement store. High torque, and has trigger dial speed control. Obviously you have to flip the hammer switch so its not hammering. Zip ties hold trigger down. Waterproof switch with extension cord makes turning off and on a breeze.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 08:19:44 am by klickitat jim »

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 08:26:17 am »
Looks awesome Jim! I will be in the market for a mill and drill set up in the next year or so
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 08:36:05 am »
Mill, drill, cord, switch, and table all for under $200.

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 10:11:58 am »
I hand crank because I am a glutton for punishment.  I’ve been thinking of hooking up my drill but what I want to know from the powered mill users is how bad is it when you have a pebble in your malt?   I have had two the past year that have stopped my rollers.  I would think it would be worse with a drill.
Mark

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 10:26:06 am »
I've either never had a pebble in my grain in the last 150 batches or the mill has just 'processed' the pebble and I didn't notice it...
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 10:43:15 am »
I had one pebble when I started milling about 6 years ago. And two within the last year probably from this sack of Golden Promise that seemed like it had a lot of junk in it.  I will say that I am blessed with getting the stuff that shouldn’t be there. Like seeds in seedless fruit, a pit in a slice of pie, hair in my food. Great things like that.
Mark

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 12:23:12 pm »
I had a pebble or two over the years.  i had one stop the mill but that's it.  The motor was running, the belt was turning but the shiv was standing still.  It didn't hurt anything.

I think I had once while using a drill and it made the whole mill jump pretty good.  Other than my wrist not being very happy about it, nothing was hurt.  I had to dig them both out in order to get things rolling again.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 05:33:44 pm »
I just milled my first batch with my new MM3.  Holy smokes, I am going to mount this thing on stand before I use it again.  Keeping the mill on my grist bucket during start-up was like riding a bucking bronco.   I used my big DeWalt DW511 1/2" hammer drill on the drill setting.  It absolutely refused to budge at slow speed.  Running the grain through two crushing surfaces at once takes significantly torque than running it through one surface.  There's no way anyone is cranking this bad boy by hand. 

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 05:54:55 pm »
Cranked me MM3 with a clamp one time, it sucked but it worked:D
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!