Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Backsweetening my Triple Berry Mead  (Read 2099 times)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Backsweetening my Triple Berry Mead
« on: August 07, 2014, 11:58:29 am »
I think I've finally got my technique down for healthy mead fermentation.  I brewed a melomel a month ago, with SNA and daily stirring up to 33% attenuation then after that I just punched down the cap regularly. I went from 1.131 down to 0.997. Yup that's a 19.8% abv pink rocket fuel.

20lbs clover honey
15lbs frozen triple berry (blueberry, raspberry & blackberry)
3 tsp DAP
Lalvin K1-V1116 (so much better than EC-1118 champagne)

I didn't think I'd get it this low, but the yeast really excelled. I need to backsweeten it now that its racked off the primary and fruit. I've ready that 1lb of honey adds about 6-7 points to 5 gallons. I know that the standard answer is to sweeten to taste, but what would be a typical FG for a 20% abv melomel that will still be fairly dry and refreshing. I've tasted too many sweet berry melomels that tasted syrupy.

Also, carbed or uncarbed. I'm thinking dry and carbed or sweet and still, so would carbing work for something this strong or should I keep it still like a dessert wine.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Backsweetening my Triple Berry Mead
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 01:25:20 pm »
Take a sample and make 3 blends. One about 1.010, one about 1.020 and one about 1.030. That will help you pick a ballpark.

My last blackberry melomel started and finished almost exactly the same as you. FWIW, I settled on about 1.020 for a slightly sweet, but not syrupy finish.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 01:40:41 pm »
Thanks Eric! Did you force carb or keep it still?

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 03:13:24 pm »
heh, I should introduce your Tripleberry to my 19.2% Superberry.

Eric's right, experiment and see what you like/how it balances.

Personally I keep big meads still; I don't need encouragement/drinkability.  Fizz generally doesn't make me sip slowly.

my last stupid-big melomel I divided into small batches and blended with less insane alcohol level other fruit melomels.

good luck...
--Michael

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 09:38:27 pm »
Thanks Eric! Did you force carb or keep it still?
Its still. For me, carbonation is more for the smaller, more quaffable meads. Keep in mind that you will get a raw (i.e., unfermented) honey flavor if you use it in significant quantity for backsweetening. It's not that bad, but it does seem a bit less integrated than if you didn't back sweeten.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 07:30:49 pm »
The good lady and I racked up a flight from the native 0.995 all the way up to 1.032. I think we settled on 1.016. Any sweeter and it tasted underattenuated. Much drier and it still has a solvent burn.