Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stopper stuck in Carboy  (Read 7733 times)

Offline eric

• Cellarman
Stopper stuck in Carboy
« on: April 06, 2010, 05:40:58 am »
I pushed my stopper all the way into a glass carboy. any ideas how to get it out? Someone said a coat hanger but it just bends. Can't get a good knife in either.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Stopper stuck in Carboy
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 07:32:29 am »
Aside from breaking the carboy...I think you'll need to somehow cut the stopper into pieces. Not an easy task. Good Luck
Ron Price

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 07:59:20 am »
get it near the opening and hold it there with either a coat hanger through the center hole or needle nose pliers.  then use long suture scissors or even wire cutters to start cutting it in to small pieces :-[
Don AHA member

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 08:52:57 am »
I've also seen discussions of a trick using a dishtowel.  Basically, you feed a long thin strip of cloth into the carboy, turn it upside down until the stopper is on the cloth, and then pull the cloth out which supposedly brings the stopper with it.  If you google something like "remove stopper from carboy", it'll show you a bunch of these discussions (and even some videos of the procedure).
Joe

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 02:06:18 pm »
If you can bend a tiny hook in a metal coat hanger so you can get the hook through the hole in the stopper, then lube the carboy spout (start with water and work your way up to sanitizer, pbw, etc... all the way to dish soap if you have to).  It should come out.  If you make it to dish soap, make sure you clean and rinse the carboy extremely well.
Founding member, California Street Brewery

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 02:48:06 pm »
You can try the cork out of the inside of a wine bottle trick...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL1ovAYtKuQ

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 04:04:37 pm »
I had this happen two weeks ago (and it's not even the first time). This time I pushed through a cork with its airlock in it.

First, to loosen things up, I put in a couple cups of very hot water and a little Oxiclean, let the cork sit in it for five minutes, then after pouring off the liquid, jiggled the airlock into the neck of the carboy and eased out the airlock with pliers (the airlock is trashed, but so what). Then I took a coathanger, unbent it, doubled the end with pliers, eased it through the cork, let the looped-over section catch on the cork, and gently tugged until the cork came through.

I should add it took a few minutes, but I had already considered replacing the carboy, and after pricing shipping and handling (it's a 3-gallon Better Bottle and I couldn't find one at an LHBS), decided patience and thriftiness would win the day. Next time, I'm going to calibrate my wrists before pushing the cork into the carboy...
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 05:21:22 pm »
 . .and when you finally get it out, let me make a humble suggestion.

Just brew it...

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 06:48:11 pm »
The wine bottle trick

AND

THIS

. .and when you finally get it out, let me make a humble suggestion.

Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 08:47:51 pm »
Frustrating ain't it.  I think many folks have done this at some point.  When it happened to me it was right after pitching yeast.  So I did not want to mess with it and possibly contaminate.  Just had to leave it in there until it was done.  No problems flavor wise...

As to getting it out.  After emptying it I turned the carboy upside down to get the stopper in the neck.  I then took a stainless shish-kabob skewer and inserted the pointy end into the hole in the stopper.  I turned the whole thing over and dropped it all in there.  Finagled it so the sharp end of the skewer came back out through the carboy hole.  I now had the stopper with the skewer handle (a ring in the end) on the other side.  So, by pulling the skewer out the stopper came with it.

You could probably use a coat hanger as suggested or a thicker wire as long as you can bend a loop in the end.

Make any sense?
Dave Brush

Offline fritzeye

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 08:32:29 am »
Frustrating ain't it.  I think many folks have done this at some point.  When it happened to me it was right after pitching yeast.  So I did not want to mess with it and possibly contaminate.  Just had to leave it in there until it was done.  No problems flavor wise...

As to getting it out.  After emptying it I turned the carboy upside down to get the stopper in the neck.  I then took a stainless shish-kabob skewer and inserted the pointy end into the hole in the stopper.  I turned the whole thing over and dropped it all in there.  Finagled it so the sharp end of the skewer came back out through the carboy hole.  I now had the stopper with the skewer handle (a ring in the end) on the other side.  So, by pulling the skewer out the stopper came with it.

You could probably use a coat hanger as suggested or a thicker wire as long as you can bend a loop in the end.

Make any sense?

That is a pretty good idea. I have also heard of peopke using the thin cheap plastic grocery bags. You insert it so half the opening is in the carboy and jockey the carboy around until the stopper is in the opening of the bag and then pull out.
Beer makes you smart, drinking is art!

Offline eric

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 11:59:33 am »
Update

I just tried the Cork in the wine bottle idea posted above. worked very nicely. I used no water no soap etc.

The hard part was getting the bag in the opening and the stopper in the right position (small end down) Blew in some air tipped carboy up right sat in a chair wrapped my legs around it and pulled with both hands. The stopper flew out and hit the ceiling.

This is the best site on the web. now I have room to move my IPA to the secondary ;D