Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: false bottom too small  (Read 2502 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
false bottom too small
« on: June 27, 2014, 10:06:52 pm »
So i recently bought a false bottom that will go with Lowe's blue 10gal cooler, the false bottom is 12in, and has about 1/4in of room to the side to the sides of cooler. I'm trying to think of how to fix this problem, I was thinking a rubber "band" around the false bottom or maybe a "shelf"on the wall of the cooler. Does anybody have any better ideas or suggestions?

thanks
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: false bottom too small
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 05:44:58 am »
Is the bottom domed? If so it isn't to small and should work fine.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 06:14:53 am »
THe domed versions dont fit exactly.  DO yourself a favor when you use it tho, put hose clamps on both sides and hold it down while you dough in, ive had a few stuck mashes because the tube got knocked off while doughing in or grain got under the dome because over overzealous mixing.

Cheers,
Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 08:36:49 am »
I don't know what the bottom looks like, so I am guessing it is a standard flat plate with holes.
IF so then you could try getting some tubing and slice it length wise and press it over the edge of the plate all the way around. That should take up the gap for a snug fit.
If it is too snug or too loose get the next size tubing. If you have old tubing that is a good final use. Or you could buy a small length of different sizes and cut out four 1-2 inch sections to test the fit before going all in on the full length.
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 10:18:16 am »
Make sure the false bottom is anchored so it will not rise while mashing.  I have mine hard piped with s/s tube and Swagelock fittings.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 05:16:08 pm »
THe domed versions dont fit exactly.  DO yourself a favor when you use it tho, put hose clamps on both sides and hold it down while you dough in, ive had a few stuck mashes because the tube got knocked off while doughing in or grain got under the dome because over overzealous mixing.

Cheers,
Jeff

+1 to the hose clamps.  Make sure the tubing is just the right length to keep your false bottom centered as well.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 05:24:24 pm »
Mine is the more beer smallish one used in a 15 gallon stainless mash tun direct fire recirculation style. If yours is too small then I'm not even close to making beer.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 01:07:59 pm »
DO yourself a favor when you use it tho, put hose clamps on both sides and hold it down while you dough in, ive had a few stuck mashes because the tube got knocked off while doughing in or grain got under the dome because over overzealous mixing.

I must be one of the luckiest brewers in the world because I have mashed a metric truck load of batches in beverage cooler-based tuns without encountering this problem. Heck, I made over one hundred batches with a Phil's Phalse Bottom in my old brewery without experiencing a stuck runoff, and that false bottom was notorious for floating during mash-in.  I have always used a soft-plumbed false bottom because it simplifies cleanup.

I usually mash-in by adding enough hot liquor to cover the false bottom before dumping the entire grist into the tun and slowly infusing hot liquor until the mash bed is covered with fluid before I start to stir.  It's an easy way to avoid overshooting mash temperature on those days when one's mind is not completely focused on brewing while measuring and heating the strike liquor.   I also experience far fewer dough balls and less dust than I did when I added grist to liquor.

By the way, do you "dough-out?"   I am still working mastering "flame-on" to match "flame-out."  ;D