Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Project Dank Recipe  (Read 7449 times)

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Project Dank Recipe
« on: June 28, 2014, 10:47:19 am »
I was reading the latest Zymurgy and was perusing the above recipe.

In the directions it states to whirlpool settle for 1 hour-covered?

I'm not questioning the hour but the covered part. Is there not a concern of DMS redeveloping over this time? Especially with 12.8lbs of Pils malt?
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Project Dank Recipe
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 11:13:48 am »
I always hopstand with the lid on, but I don't typically use Pils for a 'hopstanded' beer, except for IPL.   But as long as you keep a good steady boil for 90 minutes to drive off the DMS I think you'd be fine. My understanding was always that it gets driven off during a long boil and that you don't rely on the post boil phase to remove more. 

EDIT - Actually,the last time I brewed an IPL was ~ 3 years ago, since I only recently was able to replace my lagering fridge. At that time I wasn't hopstanding yet, so I don't have direct experience with hopstanding all Pils beers. I still think you'd be ok with a good, long boil.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:33:02 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 11:51:44 am »
Interesting, I know about the long boil doing a good job of driving off the DMS but was always under the impression that there is the potential to redevelop without a quick chill, I just thought covering would increase the potential, hmmm, the things that keep me awake at night....

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 11:58:45 am »
Like I say, without direct experience, I could be wrong. There's always the option to sub in a good hopstand-friendly 2-row and not have to worry though.
Jon H.

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 12:14:07 pm »
Please post the recipe.  LaCumbre has it on their blog, but it's for 30bbls. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 12:22:06 pm »
Zymurgy shows it as a 1.070 OG IPA, Canadian Superior Pils malt as ~ 90% of the grist (Vienna, 30L crystal make up the rest), 1056, IBUS not posted as the 'Project' uses an ever changing hop lineup, all per La Cumbre. Very hoppy beers (read:good). As I figured, boil time is 90 minutes.
Jon H.

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 12:37:43 pm »
From their blog:

1045 lbs. Canadian Superior Pils
55 lbs. Durst Vienna
27.5 lbs. Bairds Carastan
Mashed at 151 with water treated with 2 lbs. CaCl, and 500 mls Phosphoric Acid.

90 minute boil.
Also, each batch so far has started with 600 gms CO2 extract added at the beginning of the boil for a VERY large amount of bitterness. I could go into my reasons for utilizing this secondary hop product but its lengthy and I have addressed it in past blogs.

What follows are the hops used in each batch so far with their corresponding release date.

1/10/14:
Columbus @30
Southern Passion (formerly known as US 478) @10
Southern Passion, Mosaic, and Nelson Sauvin @ Whirlpool
Simcoe, Mosaic, Southern Passion, Nelson Sauvin, Citra, H17 in the dry hop.
This beer was dry-hopped 7 days after fermentation at 68F. On the 2nd and 3rd days, it was recirculated. On the 4th and 5th days, hops were dumped. It was crashed on the 5th day and was transferred on the 7th day after dry-hopping.

1/16/14
Columbus @30
Southern Passion (formerly known as US 478) @15
Southern Passion, Mosaic, and Citra @ Whirlpool
Mosaic, Southern Passion, Nelson Sauvin, Citra in the dry hop.
This beer was dry-hopped 7 days after fermentation at 66F. On the 3rd and 4th days, it was recirculated. On the 4th day hops were dumped. It was crashed on the 4th day and was transferred on the 5th day after dry-hopping with finings.

1/31/14 (This beer will be released tomorrow.) ALL AMERICAN FILTERED DANKNESS
Columbus @30
Chinook @15
Chinook and Simcoe @ Whirlpool
Chinook, Simcoe, Mosaic, Citra in the dry hop.
This beer was dry-hopped 7 days after fermentation at 66F. On the 3rd and 4th days, it was recirculated. On the 4th, 5th and 6th days hops were dumped. It was crashed on the 5th day and was filtered (3 micron nominal) on the 7th day after dry-hopping.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 01:18:53 pm »

Like I say, without direct experience, I could be wrong. There's always the option to sub in a good hopstand-friendly 2-row and not have to worry though.
definitely! I was just curious if anyone else caught this and questioned it as well or had other thoughts about their process

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 01:22:00 pm »
The idea is to add so much dankness that it overcomes any potential DMS issues.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 01:38:37 pm »
I guess I need to make a hopstanded IPL with Pils, to see for myself if a hard 90 minute boil will let me hopstand with no ill effects. I remember there was a school of thought when I started using hop stands that even a domestic grist would leave DMS in your beer due to the delayed cooling. Obviously not so. So the question is does a DMS producer like Pils have more of a risk ?  We'll see. A good excuse to experiment   ;)
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 01:40:50 pm »

I've never heard that and since DMS doesn't go away and usually gets worse while hop character fades, that sounds curious to me, not saying your wrong, I've just never heard that or seen it explained that way.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 01:43:40 pm »

I've never heard that and since DMS doesn't go away and usually gets worse while hop character fades, that sounds curious to me, not saying your wrong, I've just never heard that or seen it explained that way.

FWIW, I don't believe that. La Cumbre is a great brewery and if they are selling that beer commercially and giving us the recipe, I have to believe that perceptible levels of DMS are not in the beer.

EDIT - Makes me think of Rolling Rock, a true DMS bomb. It would take a helluva lot of hops to try to cover up the DMS there, and probably still not work.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 03:06:36 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 03:33:21 pm »

I guess I need to make a hopstanded IPL with Pils, to see for myself if a hard 90 minute boil will let me hopstand with no ill effects. I remember there was a school of thought when I started using hop stands that even a domestic grist would leave DMS in your beer due to the delayed cooling. Obviously not so. So the question is does a DMS producer like Pils have more of a risk ?  We'll see. A good excuse to experiment   ;)
not sure it's worth wasting a potentially good beer:) I'm all for experimenting but like to go in a positive direction!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 05:06:15 pm »

not sure it's worth wasting a potentially good beer:) I'm all for experimenting but like to go in a positive direction!

I hear ya, but I'm assuming La Cumbre isn't putting out a DMS bomb ! You never know though.
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 10:25:59 pm »
I would think not, especially a recipe being shared in Zymurgy