Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Time for a New RIMS Thread!  (Read 4805 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Time for a New RIMS Thread!
« on: June 29, 2014, 07:16:49 am »
I'm going all in and building a Brutus 25.  I saw a deal on 25G pots and thought, "brewing 20G at a time would be really cool!"  Here are my initial thoughts:
1-25G pots to brew up to 20G
2-natural gas burners
3-Stainless steel frame

That's about as far as I got.  I'd really like to hear some updates on your rigs and advice on going about this journey.  I can't wait!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: Time for a New RIMS Thread!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 10:25:38 am »
I say go for it!  JUst make sure if you are brewing inside to vent correctly.  Also, keep in mind that with 25G pots it will probably be a little finicky brewing 20G.  Good luck in the planning and building of the new brewhouse!

Cheers,
Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 06:29:09 am »
I say go for it!  JUst make sure if you are brewing inside to vent correctly.  Also, keep in mind that with 25G pots it will probably be a little finicky brewing 20G.  Good luck in the planning and building of the new brewhouse!

Cheers,
Jeff

Plan to run a gas line in to the garage.  First order of business or the rest of my plans fall off quickly....
Dave Zach

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 06:47:03 am »
I just bought one of the Blichmann RIMS-Rockets myself... Had been holding off to have a custom made HERMS tank made for me... but won a $200 gift card at the NHC so.... RIMS it is :D
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 06:47:58 am »
I just bought one of the Blichmann RIMS-Rockets myself... Had been holding off to have a custom made HERMS tank made for me... but won a $200 gift card at the NHC so.... RIMS it is :D

NICE! 
Dave Zach

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 08:31:33 am »

Keep us posted on how you handle the temperature control.  I'm wondering about getting one myself.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 08:36:44 am »

Keep us posted on how you handle the temperature control.  I'm wondering about getting one myself.

I just asked my wife if we knew any electrical engineers as I'm pondering this myself.  I'd like to be able to dial up temps as opposed to programming them per Lonny's YouTube video.  I just don't know enough and I don't want to spend my life researching it.....

I also don't want to go touchscreen so I'm in a quandary right now.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 08:55:21 am »

I just asked my wife if we knew any electrical engineers as I'm pondering this myself.  I'd like to be able to dial up temps as opposed to programming them per Lonny's YouTube video.  I just don't know enough and I don't want to spend my life researching it.....

Dave
With a PID controller that has a manual mode you can just change the setpoint at any time to "dial up" the temps you want.  I wish they offered a 1500 watt/115V heater option as I do not have 230v at my brewstand.

Another Dave
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 09:30:37 am »

Dave

Maybe you should consider electric. there is already a bunch of prebuilt preresearched options out there.

Jeff
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 09:48:35 am »
I thought about electric, but then I go back to not knowing any electrical engineers.  I think I'm more apt to electrocute myself than blow myself up...... ;D
Dave Zach

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 09:51:46 am »

[/quote]

Dave
[/quote]

Maybe you should consider electric. there is already a bunch of prebuilt preresearched options out there.

Jeff
[/quote]

That's a good point to consider.  The cost of having a gas line or a 220V outlet installed will be pretty similar.
Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 10:04:11 am »
Im not an electrical engineer either, but after building my system i have a veryg ood grasp of the whats and whys.  Just something to consider is all:D

Jeff

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 10:07:57 am »
Im not an electrical engineer either, but after building my system i have a veryg ood grasp of the whats and whys.  Just something to consider is all:D

Jeff

I'm definitely not against it and have pondered it as I could plug in to my 220V dryer outlet right inside the garage door.  The alternative is to tap in to the gas line behind the dryer and run a line in to the garage. 

Both good options I think.  I'll keep researching it...

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 10:34:56 am »

Dave
With a PID controller that has a manual mode you can just change the setpoint at any time to "dial up" the temps you want.  I wish they offered a 1500 watt/115V heater option as I do not have 230v at my brewstand.

Another Dave
EDIT:  Not sure how my response ended up inside one of the other quotes... w/e.... actual post below :D

haha so glad you mentioned this... I noticed for the whole kettle elements they have a couple 120V options... I guess I just assumed the RIMS would only be 120V... I actually had to just cancel my order because I don't have a 240V outlet anywhere in my condo... Even my drier in the basement is only 120V lol.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:22:07 am by dkfick »
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 10:51:27 am »
I thought about electric, but then I go back to not knowing any electrical engineers.  I think I'm more apt to electrocute myself than blow myself up...... ;D

A simple temperature control unit is only contains a handful of parts.

• A NEMA-rated electrical enclosure
  • 25A solid-state voltage regulator
  • An aluminum heat sink to dissipate waste heat generated by the sold-state voltage regulator
  • 500K-Ohm 2 Watt linear taper potentiometer
  • knob for the potentiometer
  • A twist lock inlet in which to plug the Blichmann cord
  • A 10/3 power cord to that connects the control unit the wall receptable

A PID-based control unit can be built for not much more money, but it only benefits the user if temperature feedback is provided to the PID.