Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My first competition  (Read 4869 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: My first competition
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 09:25:29 pm »
Malt complexity can be a simple as adding in some specialty malts or perhaps changing the malt temp or it could be to change the yeast. Think about your recipe and what you could do to make the flavor more complex. In many cases a beer is to style but is rather boring, a tweak in the recipe can take good to outstanding...

Here's the recipe:

10 gallon batch

18 lbs domestic 2-row
1 lb each of crystal 60 and caravienna
4 ounces roasted barely

2, oz fuggles 90 minutes
1, oz EKG 30 minutes
1, oz EKG 15 minutes

1 tsp powdered irish moss 10 minutes

Recipe called for two vials of yeast, but I used one vial, stepped up to to 3000ml.

Admitting, I have a tough time controlling mash temp.  It usually varies between 145 and 160.  I use a RIM system with no burner on the mash.

Advice is certainly welcomed, solicited, and very thankful for.

Offline craigg

• 1st Kit
Re: My first competition
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 06:23:26 pm »
I know we must all be partial to the potables we produce. And in honor of my first true competition entry, I cracked a bottle of the cherry porter I sent in the the NHC this evening.  I can only hope that the bottle that got judged today tastes anything like what I'm enjoying right now :)  Did you ever make a batch you wished you could reproduce over and over again?  This batch is my first true successful fruit beer - I wish I could share it with everybody! That cherry tree in WV just isn't big enough ;)