Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Temp control: Johnson or Ranco?  (Read 9182 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Temp control: Johnson or Ranco?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 08:59:04 am »
Thanks, Kyle.  I may end up wiring them myself since that's about $100 more than I can get them at Amazon.

Another question...where do you set the freezer thermostat?  As cold as it will go, then let the controller take it from there?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 09:35:51 am »
Another question...where do you set the freezer thermostat?  As cold as it will go, then let the controller take it from there?

Thats what i have always read.  IF you are using it as a ferm chamber tho i wonder if somewhere in the middle of the road is better.  Im not sure if the freon can be different temperatures or not.  Will you be putting your carboys/buckets directly on the floor of the freezer or will you be resting them on a platform of some sort?
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 10:04:15 am »
Thanks, Kyle.  I may end up wiring them myself since that's about $100 more than I can get them at Amazon.

When I was using one of our chest freezers for fermentation, I actually set the freezer dial to the highest setting.  Don't know if it's true or not, but why have that compressor work any harder than it needs to.  Less off and on cycling was my theory.  But who knows.  Now I have them all turned down to 40 degrees for full keg storage.   

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 10:06:12 am »
Thanks, guys.  I think I'll start mid-high range and see what happens.  Just ordered the Ranco from Amazon.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2014, 10:19:57 am »

When I was using one of our chest freezers for fermentation, I actually set the freezer dial to the highest setting.  Don't know if it's true or not, but why have that compressor work any harder than it needs to.  Less off and on cycling was my theory.  But who knows.  Now I have them all turned down to 40 degrees for full keg storage.   

I have always set mine as cold as they could go, keezer and ferm chamber. I do cold crash in the ferm chamber frequently down to 32 degrees and the dial is not very accessible on the side with only a six inch gap from the wall.

I would be interested in learning where the thermostat in the freezer measures.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2014, 11:29:36 am »
Thanks, guys.  I think I'll start mid-high range and see what happens.  Just ordered the Ranco from Amazon.

I doubt you'll regret it Denny.  I have a dual-stage Ranco on my fermentation freezer and use a reptile warming bulb for the winter months when I need it warmer. Has worked great for a couple years now. Have fun!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 11:34:26 am »
Denny,
What brand/model # freezer did you get?
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 11:38:11 am »
+1 to the Ranco dual stage. I use a Fermwrap for the heating cycle. Zero complaints.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 11:41:43 am »

I doubt you'll regret it Denny.  I have a dual-stage Ranco on my fermentation freezer and use a reptile warming bulb for the winter months when I need it warmer. Has worked great for a couple years now. Have fun!

That's exactly what I intend to do, Steve.  Thanks for the reassurance!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 11:42:43 am »

www.dennybrew.com

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 11:55:55 am »
I have 3 rancos and one Johnson.  I am agnostic to either - they are both great, though the Johnson seems to chill below the specified range by a degree or two sometimes.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 12:22:57 pm »
RE:Thermostat
Remember, it's a freezer, so the thermostat will probably give you 10 deg at 1 and -10 at the max setting.  I set mine around 4.  The controller takes over, it won't work any harder if you set the thermostat higher as the air temp inside will never get below 20 or so (if you have a fan in there).  The inside temp can get pretty cold if you have 80 deg beer in there and are trying to cool to 50 or so for lager pitching.  Having a fan inside will make the beer cool quicker and keep the inside temp more even.  I usually put a thermowell in one of two carboys to maintain the beer temp.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2014, 02:11:24 pm »
I have 4 Johnson A 419's and one Ranco controller.  I have to say that they are both solid controllers and it's really the difference between a Ford or a Chevy IMO. You won't go wrong with either controller. I have to flip the inner terminal tab to switch from cooling to heating with the Johnson but not a big deal. Fermentation temp control is awesome!
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2014, 02:28:43 pm »
Fermentation temp control is awesome!

It's gonna be a big change from a tub of water and ice packs!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2014, 02:45:22 pm »
Fermentation temp control is awesome!

It's gonna be a big change from a tub of water and ice packs!

Well it might not be cheaper, but it sure is easier;)
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!